CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

What is a "post"?

What qualifies as a "post"?

Just curious, I have submitted numerous replies to try and assist others when I could, yet I am credited with two "posts" and titled Lurker. Hmm.... not a very complimentery title.

I would have more posts, but I have very few problems with my STS that I can't fix myself.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

A new topic or a reply to a current topic count as a 'post' in all of the current forums. It is possible to have 'test' forums where post are not counted, but none are setup that way at the moment.

Lurker is a common internet term for someone who reads a forum but does not post much. Maybe Tire-kicker would be a more automotive-related term?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Bruce thanks for the reply.

I guess it would be nice to get a little credit for our replies on this new board. Many of my responses take a fair amount of time to research, type clear notes and scan images from the Cadillac Service Manuals, to help someone who has posted a question. I know there are many others who send replies that are very knowledgeable and enjoy helping others solve their Cadillac problems.

A quality answer generally takes both the effort to respond and experience on the subject matter.

I don't have another name to suggest in place of "Lurker", but perhaps someone else may have a suggestion, on how to acknowledge, those who contribute solutions to posted problems.

By the way the look of the new board is very nice and easy on the eyes.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

To restate my answer, Yes, replies are counted as 'posts'.

I have seen systems which do allow for some additional award for especially valuable posts, but I am not sure how we would implement that on this board software. Where possible certainly I am interested in ways to reward good participation.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Hey, this morning I was a Lurker, now I'm an observer. I had fun with the "Lurker" designation. I asked my Wife if she knew that in some circles, I was known as a Lurker. She just gave me the "Look". Call me anything, just don't call me late for dinner. :D

rek

Call me anything, just don't call me late for dinner. :D

I hear ya bro!

growe3, I'm sure most here will agree that someone who provides meaningful and informative posts to the board is more highly regarded than someone who "post-whores" to get their post count up. (I'm sure the term "post-whore" is found in that Internet jargon dictionary Bruce posted.) The post count and join date are good indicators of how long you've been a member and how often you "participate", but there's no way to judge the meaningfulness or completeness of a message, besides how much help it is to the reader.

My point is, your reputation will precede you. No matter what your post count says, if your messages and dialogs are always high quality, non-derrogative, informative, and pleasant, people will appreciate you being a part of this group!

:D

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived