CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cabin Filter

Can't say you guys didn't warn me ------------- the re and re of the cabin filter on the 98 STS was perhaps one of the few chores I have ever had to abandon after the halfway point. Or should I say I let my son abandon after the halfway point! I decided to summon his help after finding it just a tad too tight for my old 6' 4" and 240lb frame under the dash! Like what was the engineer thinking when he came up with this novel idea! He should be found --- shot --- and pissed upon eh! Not even the biggest Caddy dealer in TO seemed to relish the idea of taking on this task. My son who is but 16 but quite strong and lean (unlike the old man) had the access flap off and the three filters out in less than 5 minutes but after an hour and a half of trying to get the new filters in without success we decided to call it a day even though we did manage to install the first of three which of course we ultimately removed. The GM parts guy told me it would be a tough job when I bought the filter ( nothing is too tough for me eh!) so I left it to my wife to return the part only to be told by her when she got back from the dealer that the parts clerk mentioned to her that "he told me so" ---- another guy to be shot perhaps? It was good that we managed to get the filters out as they had never been changed and were plugged solid after 95,000 miles.

PS We managed to twist the cable out of the way and could have possibly installed the filters if we could have removed it completely ------ out of curiousity could someone let me know how this is done?

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 year later...

I installed a new cabin filter on my '02 in about 15 minutes yesterday...

Your '98 should be the same as my ‘02... In fact I was working from a '98 helms book... Here are my experiences

1) You need to be upside down with your head in the foot well and your legs hanging out the door... I’m 6’0” and 190.. This is not comfortable...

2) Look at your new filters they have casting lugs on the parts that “lock together” sanding off the lugs might make this a little easier.

3) The filters are designed to bend… On my car the tranny cable was less in the way than the gas petal was. Get them started and bend them in around the gas petal and tranny line

4) Once one is in, the first was the easiest…I had to pull on the tab of the one just installed at the same time I pushed in the next filter

I think the guy that designed this is related to the guy that buried the tranny dip stick under the air box… Both of these engineers should be banished to drive Cimarrons for the rest of their days!

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I think the guy that designed this is related to the guy that buried the tranny dip stick under the air box… Both of these engineers should be banished to drive Cimarrons for the rest of their days!

Very funny, I have already complained about the placement of the tranny stick... amazing location. It is especially amazing if you have a leak and need to check it often... :angry:

Ah yes the infamous AC filter change out, what a ball buster of a job! I successfully changed mine on my 99 sts. The filters came out OK and in fact were plugged solid (75K on vehicle). Going in was a different story. I managed to move the tranny cable away as much as possible and had to bend each filter to get them in place. Naturely the first one went in pretty easy. Second required a little more afford and the third one took me about to two hours to get in between all the cursing and a sore back. I to wonder what the engineers were thinking about, this is not an easy remove and replace project.

Chuck

Honestly, I can see no need for them. Most cars don't even have cabin filters. Besides it's no different than driving with your windows open. Why bother replacing them unless you have really bad alergies?

The only thing worse than hanging upside down for 15minutes to 2+ hours is the fact that my dealer wanted about $50US for a set!

Must be a world wide shortage in charcoal!

Does anyone know if they are washable?

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Honestly, I can see no need for them. Most cars don't even have cabin filters. Besides it's no different than driving with your windows open. Why bother replacing them unless you have really bad alergies?

A cabin filter makes a HUGE difference. Our Cadillac doesn't have one. Our Grand Caravan does. Around here, pine pollen is terrible in the early spring, and stuff is just COATED with it. You're right -- not having a cabin filter is like driving with the windows open...but guess what? I don't want all that junk in the car! :angry: The interior of the Dodge stays very clean in the springtime. I still have to dust the Cadillac out something fierce everytime I wash it, just because of all the pollen that gets in through the HVAC. I wish my '97 had an HVAC filter.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Yes, we warned you, but I understand your need to change them out...a good idea if you ask me. Anyway, the things I tried when I was attempting to do mine were:

Remove the gas pedal completely...just a circlip or two.

Lay on the floor on my head, like someone else suggested.

Worked for an hour, but there seemed to be something up inside the box preventing the filters from pushing up.

Took it to a dealer and a young guy had it done in about a half hour. I'm going to try it again as soon as I get up the nerve and before I get TOOO old.

I have a funny feeling the the guy stuck the first one in and threw the rest in the garbage.....but I'm not not a trusting soul.

The only "trick" I could tell that was used was to bend that transmission cable up out of the way, dislodging the rubber boot from the firewall.

Oh, and breaking the white plastic cover for the filter box, which fell behind the gas pedal as I was driving home from the dealership. They bought me a new one, so I'm OK with that.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

A cabin filter sounds like a fine idea to me. As I was not sure if my 93 Seville has one, I spent some time looking around under the dash this evening with a good light. I did fine something, it was the position that my back dislikes the most. Ouch !!! So it looks like to me that a 93 Seville has no AC cabin filter. It's a shame to, this time of year could use a little air filtering .

The only thing i can add is to spray the plastic slots of the filter with silicone food grade. It helps a lot. I have changed them 3 times, first time 1 hour, 2nd time 20 min.,3rd time 30min.. Second and third with silicone spray but i still swore a lot.

Jason, I know what you mean about pine polen. To that end I was thinking of making an external filter (on top of cabin-air intake,by the wipers). I've seen some furnace filter media at Home Depot/Lowes that looks like it could be cut to fit. Maybe a thin piece of foam rubber (fabric store) but it might act like a sponge. There's got to be a way.

rek

Jason, I know what you mean about pine polen. To that end I was thinking of making an external filter (on top of cabin-air intake,by the wipers). I've seen some furnace filter media at Home Depot/Lowes that looks like it could be cut to fit. Maybe a thin piece of foam rubber (fabric store) but it might act like a sponge. There's got to be a way.

Huh -- that's a good idea. True, it might act like a sponge and absorb water. I'd like to find something like that that WOULD work well. Hmm...

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I buy the filter for about $35.00 and have my dealer install it for about $40.00 ever two years on the wifes 1999 sls, she has alergies and swears it helps. They use the smallest mechanic in the shop to change these things.

Charlie

Personally I have always thought that driving in traffic and at highway speeds can be dangerous to your lungs and health as you are sucking in brake asbestos, dirt, brake dust, etc... I for one am glad they finally put a filter on the system, it makes a lot of sense....I think it took Mercedes to do it first, if I am not wrong. Anyone know if I have one on my 96? Thanks

Archived