CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

overheating behavior

rmac-etc

I am curious because I have read of a small number of overheating incidents on this board and none mention the engine falling back into the 4 cylinder mode ... where it runs on 4 cyls alternating them such that it is pumping air to cool and protect itself. I am one of few that have actually experienced that on my 95 etc ... many years and 50k miles later the engine is still running great.

Do northstars still do that?

I am curious because I have read of a small number of overheating incidents on this board and none mention the engine falling back into the 4 cylinder mode ... where it runs on 4 cyls alternating them such that it is pumping air to cool and protect itself. I am one of few that have actually experienced that on my 95 etc ... many years and 50k miles later the engine is still running great.

Do northstars still do that?

Of course they do! It is a primary component of the "Save The Darn Engine" algorithm. My recollection is that you can travel 50 miles at 50mph in 100 degree heat without fear of failure. You've room to spare!

My '95 ESC lost the water pump at 110K miles; I got the message, though I didn't need it. When your petro-ga-burning-whine-and-screamer turns into a 3hp ride-on lawnmower, you know something is wrong.

I was fine until I pulled off the highway; then the message became "SHUT ENGINE DOWN." I waited a bit and then drove to the service station.

I can't tell you too much about the long term effects since "Baby" enjoyed her Viking Funeral at about 133K miles.

BTW, just got another fuel rail recall notice two days ago! "Baby" immolated August of '06. And no, don't know why. Any evidence quite literally "went up in smoke."

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Fuel rail recall??? Please elaborate. I think a new fuel rail recall is worth it's own topic.

The limp-home mode is what rmac-etc is referring to, I believe, and is a feature on all Northstars produced to date. It's intended to work with no coolant in the engine and is good for 50 miles, as WarrenJ says. Car and Driver drained the coolant out of their test car in a road test in 1996 or so, then ran 0-60 mph and quarter mile times. They estimated that the car has about 50 hp in the limp-home mode. Check your owner's manual for any information on the limp-home mode on your car.

Does any other engine or manufacturer have a limp-home mode?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Fuel rail recall??? Please elaborate. I think a new fuel rail recall is worth it's own topic.

The recall was for '95 - '97 Northstars. They will replace the plastic fuel rail with a stainless steel rail. It's in the archives somewhere.

Archived