CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

codes help

apache13

Got my car back from the mechanic earlier this evening. I reset the codes that were stored....my car had a check engine light which disappeared after reseting and then came back while driving 5 minutes later. I'm still showing all of my history codes and a new one I haven't seen before as well.

MSM U1300

There are no current codes registering...all history. Did I not reset the history codes? I reset the PCM codes...can't get out of that option. Earlier 1 1/2 weeks ago I had a check engine light, but different code, that I fixed (it was a loose sensor). All of my history codes are of the road sensing suspension (3) and the traction control system (6)......any suggestions on how to clear the history codes to accuratly diagnose my car? The mechanic replaced a busted motor mount today along with some other things if that helps. Thanks so much for anybody's input!

-Anthony

MSM -- Memory Seat Module

U1300 Class 2 Short to Ground

The MSM is under the driver's seat. One of the two purple wires at one end of the long connector is shorted.

What are the other codes?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I went ahead and slowed down last night and was able to clear ALL of the history codes (I kept having issues clearing them because I was trying to clear them after the I cleared the PCM codes....I wasn't going back out and then back in again). This morning on the highway, starting off with no codes, I racked up 4

PCM P0135 Current

PCM P0155 Current

TCS C1251 History

RSS C1780 History

As usual, the "service ride control" and "stability reduced" message flashed as soon as I hit 55 MPH (as it has been doing since I acquired the car)...pressed the info button twice to get rid of that dinging and message flashing. I'll surf the site for the code definitions....any suggestions of course of action?

-the MSM U1300 code didn't show up again but I'll follow/check that purple wire under the seat.

Hey thanks alot for the help!

-Anthony

DTC-PCM P0135 HO2S Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 1 current

DTC-PCM P0155 HO2S Heater Performance Bank 2 Sensor 1 current

DTC-RSS C1780 Loss of Steering Position Signal history

DTC-TCS C1251 ??(unkown)?? history

C1251 RSS Indicated Malfunction

This is likely related to the C1780 or caused by the same problem. If you are going to troubleshoot everything to get a code-free Cadillac, you should get a Factory Shop Manual (FSM). They are sold new by Helm, Inc. or you may be able to find one on eBay. The 1997 is in two volumes, and it covers the Eldorado, Seville, and Deville. The transmission overhaul manual is in a third volume and I have it, but I don't recommend getting it unless you plan to overhaul the transmission yourself because the FSM has everything you need to service the transmission in the car, replace the solenoids, etc.

The FSM has schematics and troubleshooting charts that can be combined with advice from experts and experienced DIY Cadillac owners on Caddyinfo to make your life simple and give you a code-free Cadillac. For example, when both oxygen sensors have heater performance codes, the problem is often a bad ground in the wiring harness that connects to both of them. The steering position sensor is in the cabin on the steering column above the brake pedal against the firewall. The oxygen sensors on the left and right banks are on separate fuses, and the power comes in on the pink wire. You can pull the connector on the front one, which is under the oil dipstick, and check to see if power is coming in, and if there is continuity between the black wire and ground. The grounds come together at splice S127 and round at G109, which bolts to the rear cylinder head on the driver's side just below the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Ranger -- excellent. Whenever you finish a job, going through the codes to find loose ends is the best policy, particularly for a DIY owner who doesn't do the same job at least once a month like a professional mechanic, and may need days or weeks to finish a big job because of limitations on available time, parts, or tools.

Ranger -- excellent. Whenever you finish a job, going through the codes to find loose ends is the best policy, particularly for a DIY owner who doesn't do the same job at least once a month like a professional mechanic, and may need days or weeks to finish a big job because of limitations on available time, parts, or tools.

That's funny, that's why I am dreading removing the passenger seat- it may an overall easy job but I've never removed a seat like that before (I don't think the seats from an 89 cavalier qualify LOL) so it's basically gonna be a big job (including possible R&R of the heating element). Someone who's done it a few times would have no problem...me on the other hand...baby steps LOL). Normally I could care less about the passenger seat, but my lady friend whom I live with gripes about how cold the seats are when getting in the car....I just want to fix the seat to shut her up (especially before the snow comes).

Yeah, service manual is defintley in the works. The first 2 books are what I need, the third book (transmission) is beyond my scope. I want to fix the TCS and SRS codes so that my serv ride cntrl warning won't come on everytime I'm on the highway. I'll let you guys know how the seat pull goes on Saturday and what was wrong (for anybody else in the future with similiar problem)

-Anthony

o2 sensors was the problem....my mechanic took care of it within 15 minutes. The only codes i have left are 2 suspension codes....I'm going to wait on those until I get the Service Manuals. Thanks for the pointer towards the o2 sensors!

-Anthony

Archived