CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1998 STS REAR SHOCK AIR COMPRESSOR NOT WORKING

UKcat

It seems that I have seen this discussed before, but I could not find it. We are relatively certain that our rear shock compressor is not working at all. We just ran the codes and the only thing current is RSS C 1738; which according to the list of codes that I have is defined as :exhaust solenoid valve short to GND. I don't know what this is, or if it has any relavence to the compressor not working. I plan to replace the relay and fuse in the rear fuse box tomorrow, but wanted your input first to steer me in the right direction :P

My "other car"

100_05472.jpg

1968 Pontiac GTO, 400, 4 speed, 366 h.p., matching numbers car

*Get well soon, John Force!!!*

If it was my car, I would;

1: Clear all codes.

2: Key OFF and then key ON and listen for the ELC compressor test sequence at the right rear corner of the car.

3: Read the codes again.

Is the rear suspension riding higher than usual?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

the compressor is not activating at all; we have thought, for some time, that it was not working. Saturday, we went down I-65 to Louisville (which is rough as hell anyway); 2 people in front seats, 3 in back; every time we hit a rough place, which was plenty, it seemed that the ride was very stiff; no flex at all. I can't really say that the rear of the car looks high; I have always thought that the rear of the STS was a little high anyway; could just be me. It just feels like a really stiff ride; no bounce; just stiff.

My "other car"

100_05472.jpg

I sounds like you're going to have to replace the compressor. The short to ground is likely caused by a short inside the compressor. I had the same problem and posted about it and was told it's an internal problem.

I think it is not working because the exhaust solenoid is shorted. That would indicate to me that it is not able to exhaust air and lower the car, thus the high rear end. If you replace the fuse, I suspect it will blow again. I think the exhaust solenoid is serviceable separately.

This is wholly outside the bounds of this discussion, and I apologize. But it's a testament!

My Dad, aged 90, left us on Easter Sunday, April 8th.

My 260lb. shotgun-riding brother and my 220lb. self climbed in the Eldorado to pick up the two nieces who'd just flown in from Florida for the services.

At Newark Airport we picked them up and packed my trunk with two weeks of I-don't-know-what-all. Of course, the two nieces went in the back seat.

We drove to Dad's home in quiet comfort. No radio. Very little discussion. You'll understand. The ELC performed flawlessly.

Just before we arrived, one of the nieces' remarked how civil and straight up the ride from the airport had been. No bottoming out etc. (though I'm not certain those were her words) I reminded her she wasn't driving in a Toyota. I might have phrased it better I know (yes, she owns a Toyota!).

Sounds dumb, I know . . . but the car gave me a feeling of pride. I'll understand if you think that makes me stupid.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

If the code C1738 is set, the PZM won't turn on the compressor. Fix the exhaust relay and the compressor may work OK.

The load leveler is an amazing thing. I've had a lot of cars with load levelers and none has worked better, more reliably, or more unobtrusively than that in my Cadillac.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

This is wholly outside the bounds of this discussion, and I apologize. But it's a testament!

My Dad, aged 90, left us on Easter Sunday, April 8th.

My 260lb. shotgun-riding brother and my 220lb. self climbed in the Eldorado to pick up the two nieces who'd just flown in from Florida for the services.

At Newark Airport we picked them up and packed my trunk with two weeks of I-don't-know-what-all. Of course, the two nieces went in the back seat.

We drove to Dad's home in quiet comfort. No radio. Very little discussion. You'll understand. The ELC performed flawlessly.

Just before we arrived, one of the nieces' remarked how civil and straight up the ride from the airport had been. No bottoming out etc. (though I'm not certain those were her words) I reminded her she wasn't driving in a Toyota. I might have phrased it better I know (yes, she owns a Toyota!).

Sounds dumb, I know . . . but the car gave me a feeling of pride. I'll understand if you think that makes me stupid.

Regards,

Warren

Hi Warren,

sorry to hear about your Dad's passing; and no, I don't think your statement makes you stupid; it's a fact!!! Very few cars ride like a Cadillac.............when they are working correctly!!!

Right now, mine rides pretty stiff; I didn't really notice it because I always ride in the front seat and very rarely ever have anybody with us. Saturday, I was in the back with two other people and the ride was not good. I don't know if we can attempt to fix this ourselves or not, but we are going to try!!!

My "other car"

100_05472.jpg

Archived