CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

PLEASE HELP! 2000 CADILLAC DEVILLE DTS

faris_jason

I recently bought a 2000 Cadillac Deville DTS several months ago. I absolutely love the car and never had any issues till I believe my twilight lights didnt turn off and it drained my battery! Anyways I disco'd the batt and got it tested and it checked good. While re-installing the battery I could here some strange noises coming from my engine. Well here is the issue. As soon as I put my key into my ignition I here an intermitten clicking noise and it also occurs sometimes while I drive. It sounds like a relay clicking in my instrument pnl! I cant figure out what it could be. Also I hear a noise that sounds like a motor running from my trunk immediately after start up. Is there a motor for the hood to close? If so mine doesnt work and I have to close it manualy. Or is that just a system activating? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I want my baby to run perfect!

No doubt i will be corrected by others if i'm wrong but i do not believe your twilights have anything to do with the clicking noise under the hood.

You would be surprised about the amount of noises which comes from all kinds of actuators/motors and all that jazz from under the hood when the ignition is switched on.

Just open the hood, stand there and get someone to switch on the ignition, the most noticable clicking and buzzing noise will be the idle speed control motor but i believe there are some other 'buzzes' from the vents opening and closing as well.

In the trunk you could probably hear the fuelpump that kciks in when the ignition is witched on (should disappear after 2 secs if the car is not started) but it could also be as you describe the hood closing motor but that would be easy to determine by just looking at it when someone turns on the ignition.

Good luck with your lights problem, i can't help you there but someone will buzz in surely.

Marc.

If you are in complete control..... you are not going fast enough....

I appreciate the help! I think I may need to clarify it a little better though. The clicking noise start as soon as I put my key into the ignition. The car doesnt even have to be started! I am an aircraft electrician and it sound just like a relay on an aircraft. I never had this issue untill I reconnected the battery. Which I believe died because the twilights didnt shut my lights off and remained on all night. I have tried isolating systems by turning the air off, the twilight lights, seat warmers basically anything electrical that could be causing it! I even disco'd the batt again to see if that would help by possibly resetting the faulty relay?

Is my vehicle suppose to be equiped with the trunk motor? If so it doesnt work! LOL Is there a way I can check to see if my car is equiped with this feature? The main thing is the dang clicking! It drives me crazy even though its not noticeable to anyone else!

Our car has rear load levelers; kinda like air shocks used to be; that could be the noise you hear in the trunk area. Just a thought.

My "other car"

100_05472.jpg

1968 Pontiac GTO, 400, 4 speed, 366 h.p., matching numbers car

*Get well soon, John Force!!!*

Is my vehicle suppose to be equiped with the trunk motor? If so it doesnt work! LOL Is there a way I can check to see if my car is equiped with this feature?

If you're speaking about the trunk pulldown feature, it was discontinued about your model year. Since there's no mention of it in your manual I'd be inclined to think you don't have it.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Thanks for the help about the trunk. Dont have a manual yet so I wasn't sure. Guess Ill have to take it to a dealer to find out about the clicking. Thanks for the info about the load levelers I was thinking it was something to do with the suspension. Hopefully someone will run across this who has had the clicking before. Thanks for all your help!

I appreciate the help! I think I may need to clarify it a little better though. The clicking noise start as soon as I put my key into the ignition. The car doesnt even have to be started!

The main thing is the dang clicking! It drives me crazy even though its not noticeable to anyone else!

Has your security light ever came on? Your key talks to the security system to allow it to start and let everything work.

It would make sense that there would be a relay to energize everything when you insert the correct key. But it obviously should not CONTINUE clicking.

I would clean the key real good and maybe spray it with WD-40 or a good graphite lubricant and then RAPIDLY insert and remove it from the ignition switch about a dozen times. Something could be slightly stuck or dirty.

There is also an ambient air sensor in the dash but I do not see any reason that it would have a relay connected to it. But it does have a little fan on it. (I think) The fan blade may be hiting something and it SOUNDS like a relay clicking.

Have you stuck your head as far up under there as possible and "THEN" stuck the key in ?

Posted Image

I would clean the key real good and maybe spray it with WD-40 or a good graphite lubricant and then RAPIDLY insert and remove it from the ignition switch about a dozen times. Something could be slightly stuck or dirty.

A locksmith once told me *never* to put anything other than graphite into a lock cylinder; he specifically cautioned against putting anything liquid into the cylinder. Sorry, I don't recall the rationale for that (though I can guess). That said, I wouldn't have any problem with cleaning the key pellet with WD-40 and then wiping it clean. I think that's what TX Jim was talking about.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

A locksmith once told me *never* to put anything other than graphite into a lock cylinder; he specifically cautioned against putting anything liquid into the cylinder. Sorry, I don't recall the rationale for that (though I can guess). That said, I wouldn't have any problem with cleaning the key pellet with WD-40 and then wiping it clean. I think that's what TX Jim was talking about.

Regards,

Warren

Warren,

Thats exactly what I meant.

Clean the key with WD-40. Then spray it with graphite...THEN insert it into the lock cylinder several times. I should have been more clear. I was in a hurry when I typed it. :D

Posted Image

Thats exactly what I meant.

Clean the key with WD-40. Then spray it with graphite...THEN insert it into the lock cylinder several times. I should have been more clear. I was in a hurry when I typed it. :D

Texas Jim,

Glad to see we're on the same page.

I didn't mean to nit-pick you, but I can't tell you about the number of times I've seen someone select a solution-in-a-can and spray everything in sight! The results can be disastrous and I thought it important to point that out.

Just the same (in retrospect), my understanding is that WD-40 supposedly displaces moisture and then basically leaves the scene without having left any footprints behind. Anyone care to clarify?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Yes, I have also heard that what ever the liquid in WD40 is, is just a carrier and will evaporate leaving only whatever the lubricant is. WD = Water Displacement.

I am assuming since you have a dts you have the floor shifter, if so, the clicking could be the safety lock on the the shifter. There is a little solenoid that clicks every time you press the brake pedal check and see if that is what you hearing.

peter

Thanks for the insight I will give it a shot. Where can I purchase graphite at? How much does it cost?

Just about any parts store. I have a little tube, kinda like a small tube of toothpaste. I think you can also get it in a spray can. The tube type has a real tiny hole where the graphite comes out. It gives a little bit better control than a spray can, over where the graphite actually GOES. :D

Posted Image

Glad to see we're on the same page.

Just the same (in retrospect), my understanding is that WD-40 supposedly displaces moisture and then basically leaves the scene without having left any footprints behind. Anyone care to clarify?

Regards,

Warren

Warren,

I used to ALWAYS carry a can in my car. If you have ever had an older GM car with points and consenser.... Remember the little metal window on the side of the distributor, where you used an allen wrench, to adjust the point gap? You had to do that to get the proper dwell on the points.

If you wash the engine at a car wash, even if you cover the cap.... water tends to get in the distributor, thru the little metel window and then it won't start. Take the cap off... dry as well as possible ...spray with WD-40 ... it starts and runs again. Don't ask how I found THAT out. :D

Posted Image

.... Remember the little metal window on the side of the distributor, where you used an allen wrench, to adjust the point gap? You had to do that to get the proper dwell on the points.

Yes, and our age is showing!

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Don't ask why, I don't know.

It's that age thing. :P

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

The car in question does not use a resistor type Pass key system so there are no key contacts to clean. The PK3 system keys have a transponder (RF).

If it has not already been done, I would check the battery cable connections and the battery (-) cable where it connects to the chassis. The (-) electrical connection to the chassis is made through the bolt threads as opposed to the cable end connector making contact with the chassis.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Ahh, that brings back memories. You know, I think I still have a can of that stuff in my emergency kit in the trunk. Don't ask why, I don't know.

Ranger,

You only have "HALF" of your emergency kit if you don't also have a roll of duct tape.

Remember.....

If it moves and ain't supposed to...... DUCT TAPE.

It it DON'T move and IS supposed to ..... WD-40 :D:D:D

Posted Image

As has been said, "WORD!"

Posted Image

Archived