CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

STRIPPED NUTS & BOLTS

jinxed45

Larry is right, the easiest way to fix them is to replace them. You could try to rethread them with a tap and die set, but most of the time it's more trouble than its worth.

my main problem is i'm trying to switch my old battery, but that little corner thing has those bolts on it (needs to unbolt to get battery out) and they're stripped. can't get them off.. how do i get them off? 1997 eldorado etc

See if you can get something under the bolt, Screwdriver, pry bar, something like that and apply some upward force as you turn the bolt. Or same principle between the underside of the bolt head and the panel your are removing. Once you get it out you can drill out the hold a bit and through bolt it with a nut on the underside or retap it to the next larger size.

If by "Bolt" you mean "Hex-Headed Screw", you could give it a sharp rap with a center punch and hammer, in the CENTER of the head. Then, drill off the head. Take out the battery, blast the remaining portion of the "Bolt" with Blaster, let it soak for a while. Hit it again (center punch/hammer), and it should be loose enough to come out. Double nut it, if you have enough room, and take it out.

rek

Archived