CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

photo properties?

I notice when I add gallery photos, for example here: http://www.nunsmeadow.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=14

that photos from our Kodak C875 camera include photo properties for example, Camera make, aperture value, etc.

The gallery software appears to refer to this as EXIF/IPTC photo info. Is this type information common for many cameras to include as meta-data in their saved image files? I notice that a couple of the other Cadillac images I had did not have this info included, but perhaps they were edited with an image editing program which discarded the meta data.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I notice when I add gallery photos, for example here: http://www.nunsmeadow.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=14

that photos from our Kodak C875 camera include photo properties for example, Camera make, aperture value, etc.

The gallery software appears to refer to this as EXIF/IPTC photo info. Is this type information common for many cameras to include as meta-data in their saved image files? I notice that a couple of the other Cadillac images I had did not have this info included, but perhaps they were edited with an image editing program which discarded the meta data.

You are correct. EXIF data is standardized data that's stores in a few extra bytes with the image. Depending on the camera manufacturer, the amount of data can be from just a few lines of text to tons of information about the image and the camera at the time the image was taken.

You are also correct that many image editing programs strip this data from the image at the time the image is edited.

For more information about EXIF, check out this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exif

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Thanks for the link. It looks like the gallery handles it gracefully, in that it shows the info if it IS available, but shows nothing if there is no data. I was concerned that if it was one of those standards that did not work out I should just turn it off completely in the gallery, but sounds as if it is useful to allow if it is included.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Thanks for the link. It looks like the gallery handles it gracefully, in that it shows the info if it IS available, but shows nothing if there is no data. I was concerned that if it was one of those standards that did not work out I should just turn it off completely in the gallery, but sounds as if it is useful to allow if it is included.

It's very useful because it allows photographers to look at each others work and examine the technical data behind the work. It helps give us information about lighting, F-stops, shutter speeds, metering modes etc. It's a learning tool really.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

And . . . . some software can be a little "too helpful," appending personal info that one might not want displayed on a public forum.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived