CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Trunk fuse panel - Where is it?

jcobz28

My turn signals and flashers didn't work. I replaced all the bad bulbs, and both the hazard flasher and turn signal flasher. Now the hazards work but the turn signals don't. The dashboard lights don't even come on when I flip the turn signal lever. (They come on for the hazards). All I get when I flip the lever is dead silence. No lights even come on solid. No flasher noise. Nothing.

I found the flasher fuse in the engine compartment. Couldn't find the turn signal fuse in the engine compartment, and every fuse in there tests good. So I consulted my trust Haynes manual. It says the 1996 Sevilles have a fuse panel "on the side of the trunk" ?!?? I CAN'T FIND IT!! I'm going mad trying to do so. I've torn out the liner almost completely, all I see is the antenna motor, a bunch of wires leading to what looks like a PC-communications cable, and to my odd surprise, a little box with a phone-jack and two 1/8" phono jacks labeled "tape recorder". Is this factory? Or was the previous owner trying to record his wife's phone calls or something!??!

Anyways, WHERE IS THE TRUNK FUSE BOX? SPECIFICALLY, WHERE IS THE STUPID FLASHER FUSE?!!? :P

trunk1.jpg

trunk2.jpg

trunk3.jpg

Well, I found it. Thank god for the internet because I don't think I ever would have found it without extra info the manaul didn't give. You gotta pull down that headliner in the trunk and it's basically on the back side of the rear drivers side seat. Really buried down in there. I found it back there along with a few golf tees and pastachio nuts. They still tasted good. (just kidding).

The bad news... the fuse was GOOD! So I am out of ideas. Where do I go from here?!? All new bulbs, new flasher, good fuse.... what next????

Here's the panel for future search reference:

fusebox.jpg

I would hazard (no pun intended) that the hazard warning switch isn't pulling all the way out, or that there is some problem in the contacts for the hazard warning switch. BodybyFisher has some recent experience with the switches in the steering column. You really need a factory shop manual (FSM) before tearing into that because of the air bag and the complexities found therein.

I did a forum search on "hazard" and turned up a short thread in which your problem was caused by a bad contact in the turn signal clicker socket.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Not to make light of your situation, but after 53 posts I'd kinda like to think you might know where the fuse box is. :lol:

Do your brake lights work? If the turn signal switch is really fried, your brake lights will not work.

OTOH, if your brake lights work, there's a better than even chance your turn signal switch is okay.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Brake lights work fine. Hazards work fine. It's the turn signal that doesn't work. And I do know where the main fuse box is! It's quite obvious. It was the auxiallary one buried behind the rear seats I couldn't find. I think that's a fair question being that all my time thus far has been in the engine bay!

Basically there are 4 bulbs that never light up. The 2 clear bulbs that go in the rear taillights (center mount with trunk lid section) for backup, and the same two bulbs up front in the corner lenses which light up the road in the direction that you are signaling. Plus, the signal lights don't blink when I flick the stalk on the column.

I'm stumped.

And I do know where the main fuse box is! It's quite obvious. It was the auxiallary one buried behind the rear seats I couldn't find. I think that's a fair question being that all my time thus far has been in the engine bay!

Yep, yep, yep and yup. :)

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Check your rear light sockets for burned grounds, look at the white plastic of the socket from the side for any black color inside.

I had to snip off all my rear sockets and replace them to get my turn signals to work properly again. If thats not the problem then I would look at the turn signal switch next.

You may be onto something here. I did oddly note (specifically only on these sockets), that the metal contact surface in the plug was melted / dimpled at the point where the bulb makes contact. No other sockets had this appearance.

Is there anything I can do with a voltmeter to check out this situation? Would I be checking for a leak between ground and the contact or what?

Check your rear light sockets for burned grounds, look at the white plastic of the socket from the side for any black color inside.

I had to snip off all my rear sockets and replace them to get my turn signals to work properly again. If thats not the problem then I would look at the turn signal switch next.

Archived