CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Its the starter,..STUPID !!!

Okay, ....after having read posts today, I went home to test the "12V switched" cable, but I first made sure the car would not start. And guess what, it started right up, even though I left it last night in a non-starting condition. So I drove it around the block and got my kicks doing WOTs subsequent to the phenolic spacer plate cleaning (it sure seems to run better).

When I got back, I parked the car exactly in a spot where I wanted it to faithfully die. and started it up and turned it off several times. About the sixth time, it started acting erratic, only starting every other time, and eventually, it would not start with repeated tries. Now, with the car in the "failed" condition, I put a voltmeter between ground and the "12V switched" cable to the starter solenoid and had my wife try starting the car. I got 12V each time she tried, with the starter not turning over. So I have an erratic starter even though the shop tested it as good. With 165K on it, I think I'll replace it. THEY ALWAYS COME OUT FASTER THE SECOND TIME !!!

Thanks Bbobinski on your insight on the VATS system (and taking my focus off of it), and Barry94 for not ruling out an erratic starter.

One more question, anyone have torque values for the (4) intake screws ?

I have had starters fail like that in the past. Dead spot in the armeture. You'd have thought that the shop would have found that but stranger things things have happened.

I have got addicted to the Starter Saga which turned a soap opera! Please do not stop posting :lol: I wish it were bad starter but will not be surprized if brand new starter will act similarly (God forbid!) ;)

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I had that problem one time and it was not the starter. Turned out to be a few teeth missing off the flywheel. I had to rock the car to get past the broken teeth. I have not kept up with this saga so I hope I did not duplicate something. Good Luck.

Archived