CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

P0471 History, without SES and DIM/TTM U1016

Psycho

Hi

(sorry,wrong headline...)

Since yesterday I have a 99 STS with 21kmiles on it.

I had a accident with my good 95 STS and the repair costs are to high (I live in Germany)

While driving home I checked the codes.

There where some codes related to a disconected battery during winter.

But after reseting them, I had the P0741 (TCC system stuck off) in history.

I did not get the SES-light and feelt no change in driving.

On my 95 I had the P039 and I realy know how to test the TCC during driving.

There was no problem (driving home about 100miles).

Has any of you seen the code in history without SES-light….. ?

BTW there where the U1016 in history but displayed DIM U1016 and TTM U1016 (loss of communication to PCM).

Does this mean, the DIM and the TTM failed to communicate with the PCM ?

And what should I say…… I have the water in trunk problem (no moon roof, good seals).

But never the less….. great car to ride (shimmy at 70mph – known problem), good comfort….

It is a Caddy :-)

Hope to get some informations.

Regards Psycho :-)

Psycho.gif

243728.png LPG

If you cleared the codes from the console the history codes should go away, including the P0741. If a code keeps coming back but you have no TCC problem, then you have an intermittent problem, probably a loose connector. I would check and clean the connector for the transmission.

The U1016 means that a network message was not answered at some time in the past 90 days or so. With 20 modules, more or less depending on the year, model and options, once in a long while two of them will talk at once and a message or two will be lost. The TTM is the Tilt and Telescopic steering wheel Module, and the lost messages apparently were between the Driver Information Module (DIM, the main computer for the car) and the TTM, and the PCM wasn't involved. If it doesn't come back after you clear the codes, forget it. Even if it does come back, but takes several days or more to reappear, forget it. If it comes back within a day more than once, look for a loose connector under the dashboard.

The shimmy should be solvable at a good tire shop with a road force wheel balance. If not, the tires are defective or a wheel is bent.

I can't help you with water in the trunk but there are others here who can.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

If you cleared the codes from the console the history codes should go away, including the P0741. If a code keeps coming back but you have no TCC problem, then you have an intermittent problem, probably a loose connector. I would check and clean the connector for the transmission.

The U1016 means that a network message was not answered at some time in the past 90 days or so. With 20 modules, more or less depending on the year, model and options, once in a long while two of them will talk at once and a message or two will be lost. The TTM is the Tilt and Telescopic steering wheel Module, and the lost messages apparently were between the Driver Information Module (DIM, the main computer for the car) and the TTM, and the PCM wasn't involved. If it doesn't come back after you clear the codes, forget it. Even if it does come back, but takes several days or more to reappear, forget it. If it comes back within a day more than once, look for a loose connector under the dashboard.

The shimmy should be solvable at a good tire shop with a road force wheel balance. If not, the tires are defective or a wheel is bent.

I can't help you with water in the trunk but there are others here who can.

Hi

thanks....

Fast and good answers as always ;)

I just went to town to get the car insurred.

No Codes at all.

I will check the transmission connector and the batery cables as well.

Tireproblem is not urgent.

Yesterday I drove a max speed of 140mp/h (germany), z/w-rated tires and there was no problem,

car runs realy smoth.

Only at that good known speed.

I will have the tires balanced in the nearer future.

Absolutly love that car (but my 95 looks more like an us-car!).

regards Psycho :rolleyes:

Psycho.gif

243728.png LPG

Excellent! I hope you enjoy your later model STS.

The first thing I would do is change the coolant, oil and filter. If you don't know when the serpentine belt was changed, I would change that. My dealer recommends that you change the serpentine belt every 30,000 miles, but I ran one 90,000 miles once with no problems. Also, you might look at the hoses, and tighten the hose clamps. The hoses don't need changing every four years anymore because they use better rubber compounds now. The most important maintenance item on any engine with aluminum (and the Northstar is all aluminum) is keeping the coolant fresh.

Welcome to the board. You might look around the 19th Hole and other interesting places. Also, you might do a search on "water" and "trunk" and find a recent thread that answers your last question. I do remember a thread on sealing the trunk lately. I think that the answer had to do with sealing a fender well seam.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Yep, I will change the coolant the next weeks....

Oil was changed 3 month (1200miles) ago.

Didn't get any errors since.

Thank you.... Psycho :)

Psycho.gif

243728.png LPG

I get the U1016 History code from time to time. I've noticed that it is also frequently included in lists of codes that forum members post on this board. I've just stopped paying attention to it. Thanks Jims_97_ETC for a good explanation to what causes the U1016 to be set.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Hi

(sorry,wrong headline...)

Since yesterday I have a 99 STS with 21kmiles on it.

I had a accident with my good 95 STS and the repair costs are to high (I live in Germany)

While driving home I checked the codes.

There where some codes related to a disconected battery during winter.

But after reseting them, I had the P0741 (TCC system stuck off) in history.

I did not get the SES-light and feelt no change in driving.

On my 95 I had the P039 and I realy know how to test the TCC during driving.

There was no problem (driving home about 100miles).

Has any of you seen the code in history without SES-light….. ?

BTW there where the U1016 in history but displayed DIM U1016 and TTM U1016 (loss of communication to PCM).

Does this mean, the DIM and the TTM failed to communicate with the PCM ?

And what should I say…… I have the water in trunk problem (no moon roof, good seals).

But never the less….. great car to ride (shimmy at 70mph – known problem), good comfort….

It is a Caddy :-)

Hope to get some informations.

Regards Psycho :-)

Moin Eckhard,

was lese ich da, Du hast Dir einen ´99 STS gekauft...

Mein herzlichen Glückwunsch und viel Freude damit.

Mein Eldo läuft auch wieder ohne jegliche Codes,

war ein Problem mit den neuen "solenoids",

da diesen eine Plastiklasche fehlt.

Hast Du Deinen ´95 STS noch als Ersatzteilträger behalten ?

Wenn ja, dann komme ich bestimmt mal darauf zurück ;-)

Also dann, die besten Grüße aus dem hohen Norden.

Frank

Archived