CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

92 Eldo

eldoalex

Hey Guys,

My 92' Eldo is still going strong with 150k on her.But shes doing something strange.It turns on the defroster by itself,the dic and the other info sections blank out.After a while the SES lights up and I get a check SRS message.This used to happen intermittently now it happens every time I drive the car.When I run the codes, it doesn't give any info for the SRS system.Anybody got any ideas?

Hey Guys,

My 92' Eldo is still going strong with 150k on her.But shes doing something strange.It turns on the defroster by itself,the dic and the other info sections blank out.After a while the SES lights up and I get a check SRS message.This used to happen intermittently now it happens every time I drive the car.When I run the codes, it doesn't give any info for the SRS system.Anybody got any ideas?

I believe the harness for the SRS systems in the 92 Eldo and Seville tend to go bad. If they still work but have a short in them it will set the famous "R033 in History" code. However, electronics being as they are, anything is possible. It might be the harness in which case it's sort of a detailed job to remove/replace, but not impossible.

As for the DIC blacking out, check your battery and if it's about 3 years old it's time for a new one. Clean the terminals, make sure the leads to and from the terminals are tight, maybe consider replacing the battery cables if you haven't done so during the past 150K.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Had the same thing happen to me two years ago turned out to be the DIC.Replaced it with a new (used) one been running good ever since.There seems to be a problem with one or more circuit boards in the unit probably bad solder joints or something like that.

As for the defrost kicking in when this happens this is the default mode when the dic fails, basically it is set to go to defrost mode and automatically sets a temp. of 24 degrees this is probably safety related in case its raining or cold out so as you r windshield stays clear etc.

• 2 months later...

Archived