CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2004 SRX Transmision Issue

Hi, I own a 2004 SRX AWD V8 N* and while driving around town at about 35-40MPH the transmision seems to hunt between gears. When decelarating down to about 37MPH the RPMs are about 1500RPM and this causes the tranny to want to downshift but the car seems to have trouble making up its mind and the end result is very rough (miss like) condition.

Has anyone else had issue like this with SRXs?

Thanks in advance.

According to the info I have there is a 5L40E and a 5L50E, do you know which you have?

Could this be related to a high idle?

I found this info:

Inaccurate Shift Points

DEFINITION: An upshift or a downshift, or TCC apply, that occurs at a speed outside of the calibrated range. Refer to Shift Speed .

Fluid Pump Assembly

Stuck pressure regulator valve

Sticking pump slide

Control Valve Body Accumulator Assembly

Spacer plate and gasket misaligned or damaged

Throttle Position Sensor

Disconnected or damaged

Input Speed Sensor

Disconnected or damaged

Bolt not torqued properly

Output Speed Sensor

Disconnected or damaged

Bolt not torqued properly

Shift Solenoids

Leaking

Sport Mode active

Shorted switch or circuit

Degraded 2-3 and 3-2 Shifts

DEFINITION: One of the two following conditions occurs during a second to third gear steady throttle upshift, or a third to second coast, or a light to moderate throttle detent downshift:

Harsh shift feel An unacceptable quick gear change occurs.

Soft shift feel An unacceptable long gear change occurs.

Intermediate Clutch

Damaged piston, 2-3, 3-2 shift

Damaged or worn clutch plates, 2-3, 3-2 shift

Pressure Control Solenoid

Damaged

Fluid Pump

Damaged

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I have more info on my trans. shift issue. It seems the SRX V8 is designed to shift into 5th gear at 41MPH, at this point RPM drops to about 1200RPMs then if you start to reduce speed it will not shift back out of 5th untill about 31MPH. so while in this range of 31-41MPH while you are in 5th gear the trans has a real tough time downshifting to 4th under light load. Under light throttle it just wishes to stay in 5th and the end result is compareble to driving a stick-shift in to high of gear. The car sort of shutters.

So, the car is under warranty and I took it to the dealer. They said 'working as designed' nothing is wrong. I do not like the fact that the V8 shifts so soon into 5th gear.

IMHO: I think the factory may have set the 5th gear shift point to low, I would much rather have the 5th gear shift point at 50MPH and not 41MPH. I suppose this is not something that the average owner can somehow change? If it can be changed I'd love to know how.

Can I somehow talk to Cadillac directly about this issue and altering the 5th gear program? any ideas?

This is a real issue for me here on New England secondary roads because the car spends much time in the 30MPH to 45MPH range and allowing the car to go into 5th gear is undesirable. Wish this car had an overdrive overide feature!

UPDATE: I have more info on my trans. shift issue. It seems the SRX V8 is designed to shift into 5th gear at 41MPH, at this point RPM drops to about 1200RPMs then if you start to reduce speed it will not shift back out of 5th untill about 31MPH. so while in this range of 31-41MPH while you are in 5th gear the trans has a real tough time downshifting to 4th under light load. Under light throttle it just wishes to stay in 5th and the end result is compareble to driving a stick-shift in to high of gear. The car sort of shutters.

So, the car is under warranty and I took it to the dealer. They said 'working as designed' nothing is wrong. I do not like the fact that the V8 shifts so soon into 5th gear.

IMHO: I think the factory may have set the 5th gear shift point to low, I would much rather have the 5th gear shift point at 50MPH and not 41MPH. I suppose this is not something that the average owner can somehow change? If it can be changed I'd love to know how.

Can I somehow talk to Cadillac directly about this issue and altering the 5th gear program? any ideas?

This is a real issue for me here on New England secondary roads because the car spends much time in the 30MPH to 45MPH range and allowing the car to go into 5th gear is undesirable. Wish this car had an overdrive overide feature!

I agree with you, my 4 speed 4T80E shifts into 4th at 41 mph... I would think that a 5 speed being taller would shift in at a higher mph....otherwise a bog is risked..

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

If you put the transmission in autoshift mode, but don't actually autoshift it, I think that is the same as the 'sport' mode on my CTS 5-speed auto. That give different shift points, which perhaps would change this behavior?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

My 2004 SRX does have two drive modes on the selector stick 'D' and '4' if I place it in '4' it NEVER shifts into 5th and this has really helped around town. So for now things seem OK so long as I select '4' for around town driving. However, I'm still very disapionted at how soon it shifts into 5th when in 'D'. As per the factory repair manual the 4th to 5th gear shift point is set at 41MPH and this seems a bit low which is what causes the car to stumble on inclines.

If you put the transmission in autoshift mode, but don't actually autoshift it, I think that is the same as the 'sport' mode on my CTS 5-speed auto. That give different shift points, which perhaps would change this behavior?

So you are saying just slip the selector over to '-' and '+' mode side and it will shift it self? I was under the impression that if in this mode you made the up and down shifts on request. So, do you mean the trans would most likely be smart enough to shift it self in case you where brain dead, is this what you mean?

Thanks for the tip, will try this as well.

My 2005 CTS has sport mode or winter mode, but does not have shift on request. Yes, I have been told that the shift on request transmissions don't have a sport mode button, but that if you put the selector in the +/- mode, but don't manually shift, then that is equivalent to the sport mode in my car. Your owner's manual may describe it better; pls let me know what you find out on how it actually works in your SRX.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

My 2005 CTS has sport mode or winter mode, but does not have shift on request. Yes, I have been told that the shift on request transmissions don't have a sport mode button, but that if you put the selector in the +/- mode, but don't manually shift, then that is equivalent to the sport mode in my car. Your owner's manual may describe it better; pls let me know what you find out on how it actually works in your SRX.

I drove my 2004 SRX today with the shift lever in the manual position ('-' and '+' mode) normally you use this mode for 'sport driving', the mode allows the driver to suggest when to shift up and down. However, you are correct that if you just place the trans in this mode and decide not to do anything else the trans is smart enought to up and down shift itself. I'm not 100% sure but the shift point do seem to be diffrent while in this mode. I have all 3 volumes of the factory repair manuals and when I get a chance will see what they have to say about the shift points.

I drove my 2004 SRX today with the shift lever in the manual position ('-' and '+' mode) normally you use this mode for 'sport driving', the mode allows the driver to suggest when to shift up and down. However, you are correct that if you just place the trans in this mode and decide not to do anything else the trans is smart enought to up and down shift itself. I'm not 100% sure but the shift point do seem to be diffrent while in this mode. I have all 3 volumes of the factory repair manuals and when I get a chance will see what they have to say about the shift points.

I would think that the shift points would be different. The tranny initially allows you to perform a manual shift and you don't shift at its programmed shift point, it only allows you to REV the RPM so far before it says, this person is not providing safe input. Imagine how dangerous this manual shift could be to a non-experienced driver, they would take off in FIRST, not shift staying in first and the high torque spins the wheels creating a skid, this would be especially dangerous in wet weather. I am sure that this action of allowing a shift when in manual is also allowed to protect the engine from over reving.

My guess is that it is shifting at a higher RPM in sport mode. I would keep checking the dealer to see if they get a reflash for the PCM to remedy this situation, which I am sure is being experienced by others.

Archived