CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

AC NOT COOLING ENOUGH

Larry

Any ideas what would not allow it to cool to around 49 degrees. The fan is weak, but blows good enough. the guy vacuumed system 4 times and re-charged. Could he have put wrong freon in. I have to take back to him any suggestions would be appreciated. I also cleared pcm codes. I noticed the acumulator was made in china. The system has a full charge,around 55 pounds. It will cool fairly good when outside temp is around 78 degrees. But I need it when it is 90 out.The job cost me 1000.00 and it doesn't work. Thanks

A full charge is only about 2 lbs of refrigerant. What is 55 lbs? Low side pressure? That is a little high I think. Did they change the orifice tube? What exactly did you have done for $1000 and why?

A full charge is only about 2 lbs of refrigerant. What is 55 lbs? Low side pressure? That is a little high I think. Did they change the orifice tube? What exactly did you have done for $1000 and why?

I had a "triple" black 90 deville that I had the same problem, the sun just cooked the car and I could not get it to cool down on those hot days. I had it looked at several times and the air came out cold but not enough "umph" to cool it down.

Now I have a white caddy with not problem at all.

you need pressure readings to diagnose the systems performance. thats a/c 101. pressures will tell you if you have a functioning system. static should be 85ish. running should be 50low and 200 high depending on air temp. thats just ballpark. too high means a blockage on the high side or poor cooling. do your fans run? it sounds like your tech is giving you the info and you don't know much about a/c. so your tech is not sure whats wrong and your asking the board what they think is wrong? why not ask the guy you gave $1000? not jumping down your throat but shouldn't the tech have some ideas?

What was changed.

a compressor and acumulator, oriface tube. The compressor was not working. He also replaced 3 more tubes because of metal filings. comp.rebuilt 2488 ref 12m/12k az rodney. Thanks, LARRY

Metal filings in the system and he didn't change the condenser? Maybe some debris from the condenser made its way to the orifice tube again. Not sure if that is possible though as I think it would have to go through the compressor first.

it is almost impossible to flush a parallel flow condenser which is what caddys have. that will cause a drop in performance. an a/c system has 3 main components. compressor which compresses gas. condenser which drops temp of high pressure gas. and evap which is where gas is allowed to expand and drop in temperature and than the warm cabin air is cooled/dehumidified. all the lines can be contaminated with crud when your compressor pukes.

If there were metal filings in the orifice tube, the condenser should have been changed as they become trash collectors. There is now the danger that the existing contamination in the system will destroy the new compressor. The system needs to be flushed, the condenser replaced, and the orifice tube replaced again. After that, it should operate properly.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived