CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

D.I.C. message

2004SLS

Hello,

My 1996 SLS was to be traded in today for a 2004 SLS.

After I cleaned out the car and started it to take it to the car wash, a new message apeared;

"Theft System Problem, Car May Not Restart" appeared in the drivers information center.

I started the car five times, in the hope that the message would clear itself.

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this?

I have the shop manual and I am looking through it, but the book reads like "War and Peace".

I'll keep looking.

I really want to have this sorted out by tomorrow, when I am supposed to bring the car to the dealer so they can asses it for a trade-in value.

Thanks

My wife found it in the manual. The paragraph talks about the value of the resitor pellet in the key not matching the stored value blah blah blah. I looked at my key and there was some dirt or grease on one side of the pellet. My wife went out and tried her key and let the car run for more than three minutes (the time stated in the manual) and the problem is gone. System reset, or something.

Clean your old key with a handkerchief. A hair on the resistor will cause that problem. The resistor is inside that little black thing that goes through the key in front of the handle.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

YEP clean the key, any change in resistance will cause the problem and dirt will do it

I cleaned the key, but I may not need it any more.

We will go to look at another car after work, and it's might be time to trade this one in.

It's a 19 SLS with all the options except the phone and the rain sensing windshield.

120K miles on her. Deep Adriatic Blue outside, and baseball glove leather inside.

Hard to believe the book vaklue is only $3,750. The dealer probably doesn't even want it and will only off 500 to 1,000 to try to force me to take it home and sell it out of my front yard. We'll see.

Again, thanks for all the info.

• 2 weeks later...
It's a 1996 SLS

Hard to believe the book vaklue is only $3,750. The dealer probably doesn't even want it and will only off 500 to 1,000 to try to force me to take it home and sell it out of my front yard. We'll see.

Thought I would update this.........

The dealer only offered me $500, so I have decided to keep it and drive it.

I'll just have to part with my 40 MPG Tercel.

Oh yes, we did buy the 2004 SLS, black in, black out.

What a sweet ride.

Archived