CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

false boiling/headgasket?

hi,

my car has been overheating, or so it says, but its not smoking or steaming or anything...but i start the engine cold with the coolant cap off and it doesnt puke out coolant does that mean its a headgasket?, there was some kind of sensor or something hanging down in front of the radiator but i glue it back in place but that didnt make a diffrence,i get messages like

a/c compressor off

engine coolant hot

engine hot

then eventually, engine overheatted

stop engine

so what im asking basically is, how do i check if it a head gasket or false boiling and what is the sensor or whatever it was thats infront of the radiator, would that make a diffrence?

The sensor in front of the condenser is the ambient air temperature sensor.

When you start it cold with the cap off, do you see any bubbles in the tank?

hi,

my car has been overheating, or so it says, but its not smoking or steaming or anything...but i start the engine cold with the coolant cap off and it doesnt puke out coolant does that mean its a headgasket?, there was some kind of sensor or something hanging down in front of the radiator but i glue it back in place but that didnt make a diffrence,i get messages like

a/c compressor off

engine coolant hot

engine hot

stop engine

so what im asking basically is, how do i check if it a head gasket or false boiling and what is the sensor or whatever it was thats infront of the radiator, would that make a diffrence?

Have you checked your codes? You seem to be saying that it does not appear to be overheating but you are getting messages that it is overheating. A bad coolant sensor? Before you push the panic button there are a whole host of potential problems to check.

Your statement about false boiling comes from Ranger's statement about starting it cold here:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...l=false+boiling So it would appear to me that you don't have a head gasket problem based on that test.

Check for codes (might turn up a bad coolant sensor)

Check coolant concentration for 50/50

Check cap

Check water pump belt

WP belt tensioner for binding and not applying tension

WP tensioner wheel

Check fans for proper operation

Check purge line for free flowing coolant

Check thermostat

Pressure test your system (for leaks in pipes, hoses, clamps, radiator)

The above things should be done before you UTTER the words head gasket

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

not sure i understand what you are doing and what the car is doing,

but to answer your one question "bolded",

do an exhaust gases / CO2 test on the coolant.

its cheap and fast

otherwise, follow what the previous poster suggested.

keeps us posted.

hi,

a/c compressor off

engine coolant hot

engine hot

stop engine

Would someone please post a clear, concise, scientifically correct definition of "false boiling" for me?

My feeble mind wants to put that term in the same category with "a little bit pregnant".

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

If a head gasket is breached, exhaust gases will usually be pumped into the cooling system. When the engine is started cold with the cap off, those gases will eventually find their way to the tank and the bubbles will appear as boiling coolant or if there is enough exhaust gas, it may erupt and regurgitate the coolant, thus false boiling.

If a head gasket is breached, exhaust gases will usually be pumped into the cooling system. When the engine is started cold with the cap off, those gases will eventually find their way to the tank and the bubbles will appear as boiling coolant or if there is enough exhaust gas, it may erupt and regurgitate the coolant, thus false boiling.

Very good Larry! You're like the walking-talking wikipedia when it comes to auto mechanics! :)

i like this definition the best ....

Would someone please post a clear, concise, scientifically correct definition of "false boiling" for me?

My feeble mind wants to put that term in the same category with "a little bit pregnant".

Archived