CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

engine overheating

Are there a lot of problems with devilles overheating? If so, and the problem is the head gasket, is it common for it to be due to the bolts shrinking? I'm looking for information about this to see if what I've been told is right or wrong.

They are several reasons for an engine to overheat and one of the reasons could be a ruptured headgasket. But there is no way under the sun for a headbolt to shrink. Some of what you have been told is fiction or urban legend or just plain wrong.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

They are several reasons for an engine to overheat and one of the reasons could be a ruptured headgasket. But there is no way under the sun for a headbolt to shrink. Some of what you have been told is fiction or urban legend or just plain wrong.

That's exactly what we thought and what the dealership told us. The warrenty company doesn't want to pay for the repairs so they said that the bolts were the problem because they don't cover any problems regarding bolts.

If your warranty company believes the bolts have failed and therefore you have no coverage, you should contact a lawyer.

The bolts don't fail or corrode or become damaged until the head gasket fails and the engine block bolt threads are exposed to the coolant. And how someone could know that without removing the bolts is a big mystery - or someone is using X-ray vision (or guessing).

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

The warranty companies tell the public anything to get out of the obligation. They don't cover the bolts because they shrink, what a joke. Who is the mechanic that is standing by and letting the warranty company back away?, I hope its not a dealer. If it is I would be bringing as much information regarding the problem as I could to the dealer.

Initially the dealer refused to cover or consider replacing the differential in my friends CTS that was groaning loud, until I forwarded him info on the problem that he brought to the dealer, bottom line, they acted SURPRISED and replaced it. Prior to that they went so far as to blame him for not breaking the car in right during the first 500 miles!

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

truths and myths ...

regardless, if the car overheats and there is no obvious reason, do a

CO2 test on the coolant. the test kits are cheap and will tell you if you are looking at

a tear down. if the test is positive for CO2, no matter the bolts, cracks or headgasket,

the fix starts with a tear down.

there is also a resin leak-fix you can pour into the sytem for TEMPORARY fix on

a vehicle that you are planning on dumping anyway. not sure i use that on a keeper,

at least not for a permanent solution.

lol

Are there a lot of problems with devilles overheating? If so, and the problem is the head gasket, is it common for it to be due to the bolts shrinking? I'm looking for information about this to see if what I've been told is right or wrong.

Archived