CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

lock malfunction

greetings group, this one could only happen to me....the drivers door lock on my '90 deville is in the locked position which means that the outside plunger and inside handle do nothing... can tell by the feel of the key that it isn't moving anything inside the door....the inside lock mechanism clicks up & down but changes nothing....obviously the door is closed and despite what a friend said, theres no way on earth that door panels coming off with the door closed...does anyone know how i can access the problem without the torch or a hurst tool??? PLEASE help!!!.................................................red :blink:

i've spent hours and hours with my ez jim (same thing) fishin' around in there and only boogered up the window seal--even took the other door apart so to see what i'm dealing with. i can hook the rod to the door handle but that doesn't do me any good. cant see in there to tell exactly how the latch works---know where i can access an exploded view??

Call your local locksmith -he'll know how to get your door unlocked. He might give you some pointers over the phone for using your slim jim. You'll want to use a wedge between the outer door panel and window. Good luck!

FSM is the only place I am aware of.

geez, i didn't want anyone to know i'm this uninformed....well, here goes, what's FSM?????

geez, i didn't want anyone to know i'm this uninformed....well, here goes, what's FSM?????

Don't worry about asking questions the ONLY dumb question is the one that is not asked.... We all start someplace, about 5 years ago I knew nothing about the NS, I can say I know a LOT more now....but others here know MUCH more... we are all on the path of learning

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Don't worry about asking questions the ONLY dumb question is the one that is not asked.... We all start someplace, about 5 years ago I knew nothing about the NS, I can say I know a LOT more now....but others here know MUCH more... we are all on the path of learning

thanks for understanding, alot of people can't---you're right on about the manuals, i have a haynes and it only covers removal and replacement (and of course that's with the door open) thanks so much for your help and i really like that picture you added to the last entry!.......................................red

Archived