CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

3 wheeled driving

Saw a car this morning during my commute with a VERY confused driver. From my point of view it was clear that the left front wheel was turned into the car at a 45 degree angle to the right , although the driver was attempting to turn left. Basically something in the front left suspension had given way, and the car was obviously undriveable, although the driver had not yet realized what was happening. He was still giving it more gas trying to understand why the car wasn't moving.

I have only seen that type of failure a couple of times, which made me appreciate that it does not happen more often.

On the way back through the same car was parked up on the embankment near the road, so hopefully it will live to drive another day.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Probably a tie rod end or idler arm failure. This kind of thing happens to those who ignore lots of slack in the steering until something gives way.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Folks,

My first car was '62 Chevy II, 2-door hardtop. It wanted to be "General Lee", (or at least I thought so at the time). After a couple years of significant air time and 4-wheel drift, the lower-right ball joint let go at about 40 mph. No big deal, but since no lesson was learned, the other side let go some time later at about 10 mph, again without a story.

The odd thing now... is that I simply can not remember how the car got going again either time (towed, dragged, pushed, fixed insitu). I do recall getting a "ball joint fork" and repairing each side, but the party time must have been good then. I welded up the front shock towers after they tore loose a time or two.

Then there was the issue about the rear axles' retaining plate being pounded-loose from way too much lateral force, (curbs etc). The single-monoleaf springs were literally blocked up with wood to get that popular look...and to have more suspension when landing.

What a great car!

Ahh youth.

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Archived