CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

trunk lock troubles

jng29

92 seville owner,,, does anyone know how the trunk lock operates and proper testing of it? it was totally not working and had to really slam the trunk to close it (the motor didnt seem to run) so i got a used motor from a junkyard and installed it , but it still isnt operating right . The new(used) motor will run , if i flip the little 1/2 switch, but it wont reset on its own,,, so what i need is an understanding of how its supposed to work so i can properly troubleshoot it,,, there is 1 switch in the trunk lid/latch part and 1 big paddle switch on the motor/striker side also a smaller about 1/2 inch switch sort of below the large paddle switch and also why is the IPC saying trunk open when its not,,, i appreciate hearing some advice and professional info thank you ,,,you guys have been super helpful in the recent past

If you've been slamming the trunk to close it, chanced are the upper latch switch is damaged. Unplug the switch and use an ohm meter to test it - you should have continuity in one position and infinite resistance in the other. Inspect it for signs of damage also.

The lower paddle switch is a limit switch that turns off the motor when the trunk lid reaches the closed position. When you open the trunk, the motor should extend the metal latch and the lower paddle switch should flip up.

Check the wiring to the switches - pay close attention where it follows the trunk hinge - the wires often will break due to repeated flexing. The motors on these units rarely fail - it is usually the upper latch switch or associated wiring.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If you've been slamming the trunk to close it, chanced are the upper latch switch is damaged. Unplug the switch and use an ohm meter to test it - you should have continuity in one position and infinite resistance in the other. Inspect it for signs of damage also.

The lower paddle switch is a limit switch that turns off the motor when the trunk lid reaches the closed position. When you open the trunk, the motor should extend the metal latch and the lower paddle switch should flip up.

Check the wiring to the switches - pay close attention where it follows the trunk hinge - the wires often will break due to repeated flexing. The motors on these units rarely fail - it is usually the upper latch switch or associated wiring.

well although the upper(lid mounted) switch passed that ohm meter check i did notice it looks like its cracked BUT the metal hinge mechanism does NOT rise when the trunk is opened , that is my problem i think i havent checked the wire harness into trunk yet but i will climb on in,,, ps the lower mechanism will rise if i flip that little tiny paddle switch by hand

well although the upper(lid mounted) switch passed that ohm meter check i did notice it looks like its cracked BUT the metal hinge mechanism does NOT rise when the trunk is opened , that is my problem i think i havent checked the wire harness into trunk yet but i will climb on in,,, ps the lower mechanism will rise if i flip that little tiny paddle switch by hand

i checked and followed the wiring it was still in its loom and attached ,,, i opened loom and pulled out harness it looks like new no visible breaks or pinch areas so i put it back into loom and secured it,,,the pull down system works fine BUT when the trunk is opened (either by key, remote or button ) the latching motor doesnt rise to the "open and ready to close" position ,,, i am scratching my head here

I attempted to post a response earlier but it seems the website is having some difficulty. I would replace the upper switch - if it is cracked, it is only a mater of time before it no longer functions.

The lower switch circuit is most likely where the problem is. There is a plunger that is below the paddle on the lower switch - maybe it is stuck. See if you can manually lift the plunger that is beneath the lower switch paddle. My guess is that the lower switch has failed but you need to do some additional investigation before replacing the switch. Do you have a service manual? If not, maybe someone with a '92 service manual can post the wiring diagram - that will help considerably.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I attempted to post a response earlier but it seems the website is having some difficulty. I would replace the upper switch - if it is cracked, it is only a mater of time before it no longer functions.

The lower switch circuit is most likely where the problem is. There is a plunger that is below the paddle on the lower switch - maybe it is stuck. See if you can manually lift the plunger that is beneath the lower switch paddle. My guess is that the lower switch has failed but you need to do some additional investigation before replacing the switch. Do you have a service manual? If not, maybe someone with a '92 service manual can post the wiring diagram - that will help considerably.

i am not sure i follow you kevin, the lower switch assy consists of a big paddle switch and a smaller "trip" switch (the metal tab on the trunk raising/lowering thing hits this little trip switch) i guess what i am in need to know is what makes the latching mechanism rise to the "open and ready to close" position once the trunk has been opened ? mine doesn't rise when opened

The lower switch is the smaller paddle that is under the large paddle. The smaller paddle contacts the movable metal latch. The small paddle should be between the upper and lower tabs on the metal latch. It is possible that the small paddle is damaged and is not making contact. The lower switch is what activates the motor to run to the up position when the trunk is opened. When the latch reaches the upper position, the lower tab on the latch trips the lower switch to turn off the motor.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The lower switch is the smaller paddle that is under the large paddle. The smaller paddle contacts the movable metal latch. The small paddle should be between the upper and lower tabs on the metal latch. It is possible that the small paddle is damaged and is not making contact. The lower switch is what activates the motor to run to the up position when the trunk is opened. When the latch reaches the upper position, the lower tab on the latch trips the lower switch to turn off the motor.

YES THE SMALL TAB ON THE HINGE DOES CONTACT THE SMALL LOWER SWITCH,,,BUT I DIDNT GET AN ANSWER KEVIN,, WHEN TRUNK IS RELEASED( OPENED IN ANY METHOD) THE SMALL PADDLE IS DOWN AGAIN MY QUESTION IS WHAT MAKES THE HINGE ASSY START TO RISE WHEN TRUNK IS OPENED????????????????? THE SMALL PADDLE IS NOT CONTACTED TILL THE HINGE BEGINS RISING SOOOOOOOOOO WHAT CAUSES IT TO START TO RISE

• 2 months later...

Well, yet another post on trunks. My 94 sls has lost the pull down feature and I am electrically challenged :) However I disassembled the motor and inserted the armature back into the drive mechanism. I then tried to turn the latch down manually, with no success, does this guarantee a stripped gear? Guess I'll take the housing apart next.

Well after a little fiddling I found a broken wire by the trunk hinge, claimed victory only to have it laugh in my face...still nothing. frustrated I lowered the latch assembly with a 9 volt battery so a least I can close it manually. Then I want to know if the open trunk code still shows up, stick the key in the ignition...and nothing. It's charging now.

Archived