CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hard Initial Start

nyounce

My '93 is difficult to start on the first start of the day. After that, it starts on the first or second turn. On initial start, it frequently requires three, or more, 10 second attempts before it finally stumbles into an idle, races up to 2000+ rpm and then smooths out. Just bought a fuel pressure gage, but haven't yet taken any readings. Is there a check valve to hold the fuel rail pressure over long, overnight, periods, or is that a function of the in-tank pump?

Later....

Just finished checking the fuel pressure with the following results:

Turned key on

Fuel pressure went up to 10-12 psi

Turned key off, and then on again

Fuel pressure advanced to 20-21 psi

Turned key off and on again

Fuel pressure advanced to 30 psi

Key off and on again

Fuel advanced to 41 psi and would advance no higher.

Key off

Pressure remained at 41 psi

After 20 minutes, fuel pressure indicates 28 psi

Engine was still warm when above tests were run. Problem won't occur until I attempt to start cold. Will post new readings after attempting to start the car in the morning.

Looks like its having a hard time building fuel pressure. You should be getting 40 after the first key on.

Could be a plugged filter, but a failing pump sounds more likely.

Is there a definitive test for the fuel pump. I'd hate to pull the tank again. I replaced the fuel pump, with a third party unit, about a year ago. Looks like I should have sprung for the real thing after all!

What codes would indicate a marginal fuel pump?

Before you replace the fuel pump, replace the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR). It is located under the top cover. There is alot of info on this in the archives. I would also change the fuel filter.

To my knowledge, fuel pressure is not a monitored condition, so there won't be a code.

Your hard start is consistent with low pressure. That its starting ok when warm tells me that once the pressure is built its holding ok and your numbers support that.

So that leaves you with a leak (which could be the FPR or an o-ring, but unlikely since it holds once it builds), an obstruction (filter?), or a pressure input problem (pump).

You could try to find a point upstream to test, but you'll have to figure out a way to connect the gauge. Maybe you could cobble one on at the filter connection.

To my knowledge, fuel pressure is not a monitored condition, so there won't be a code.

Your hard start is consistent with low pressure. That its starting ok when warm tells me that once the pressure is built its holding ok and your numbers support that.

So that leaves you with a leak (which could be the FPR or an o-ring, but unlikely since it holds once it builds), an obstruction (filter?), or a pressure input problem (pump).

You could try to find a point upstream to test, but you'll have to figure out a way to connect the gauge. Maybe you could cobble one on at the filter connection.

Good suggestion. I will try to test the pressure upstream of the filter.

This morning I connected the gauge and found when I simply turned the key it reported 4 psi. Subsequent tries resulted in a maximum pressure of 22 psi. It took 10 tries to reach that pressure. Once I had the 22 psi, I attempted a start and it was successful on about the second turn. The pressure then went to 37 psi and remained there after shutdown.

I really hate to go through the process of replacing the fuel pump, but it's beginning to look inevitable.

Yeah, because wouldn't a plugged filter make it low pressure all the time?

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Yes it would. Plus if the filter was plugged enough to affect starting it would barely run at all at higher fuel demands and probably fall flat on its face at WOT.

Yes it would. Plus if the filter was plugged enough to affect starting it would barely run at all at higher fuel demands and probably fall flat on its face at WOT.

Thanks for the input! In the morning, I'm going to put a gauge upstream of the filter, just for grins, and then start pulling the pump.

I have the same tro :( uble also with my 96 sts its headed to the repair shop today for this problem. ill let you know what they find on mine im hopeing for only a cheap FPR for about $100.00 or something simple but with my luck it will be a $400.00 fuel pump.

:D

I guess this closes the thread. Finally bit the bullet and put in another fuel pump. Pressure is up and it starts on the first spin. Thanks for all your support. Going over to the Porsche group to see if I can tweak my 928 a bit. Thanks again!

Archived