CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Half Shaft replacement advice...

Spurlee

Is it necessary to drain the transmission fluid when replacing the half shafts on my 1996 El Dorado? There's no mention of it in the earlier threads on this repair...

Also, are their retaining circlips or other non-resuable parts that come into play?

Rock Auto was great - less than 24 hours for delivery with standard $8.00 shipping!

Thanks!

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

I've never drained the trans. fluid and none ever leaked out while I had the axle out. Did the replacement axle have hard, plastic boots like the OEM axle or were they soft rubber boots?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks KHE -

It's a "Cardone Select" product which I thought was a rebuilt unit but the box says "Totally New" and it, in fact, looks like it. It was Rock Auto's least expensive one without a core charge.

The boots are softish - not hard. This may prove to be a problem later on I know.

Any advice for pulling the units? It seems pretty simple. There's a 33mm nut with the unit - any other parts I should have on hand?

Thanks! :)

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

Hmmmm...tried a couple of shafts from Rock Auto. Both had very soft rubbery boots. Also the versions I got were much heavier versions. Like 8lbs vs 3 lbs. Much heavier. I have switched back to used OEM shafts.

RockAuto ones are so much heavier.... You can actually feel it in the powertrain while running......the boots are junk....also the actual process of what is 'rebuilding half shafts' has been looked into..... with a lot of junk out there.

Best current solution is to run with good used OEM shafts.

I attached a picture. Cardone 8 lbs axle stub on left. OEM 3 lbs axle stub on right. You will feel it.

post-2-1175141971.jpg

Archived