CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

01 Seville STS Exhaust?

Hey everybody. I've been reading different threadsa for the last couple of days, but I have'nt really posted yet until now. I have a 01 Seville STS. I just got it and its very beuaitufl, except in Texas in order to register it it has to pass inspections, and the thing holding me back from passing inspection is that my exhaust [mufflers] have a couple of holes in each of them. I've been looking online and I have found that a whole new exhaust system costs over 1000 dollars. I was wondering what my options are. Do i need to buy a whole new exhaust system? Are there other exhaust systems that will work fine that wont be so expensive? Does anyone have an exhaust system from a 01 seville or seville that will fit on mine that they dont need and would sell to me for a reasonable price?

Anyway, thanks in advance :D

Any good muffler shop will cut out the old and put in new mufflers, unless something else has holes in it too or your clamps are shot etc.

My 98 muffler job cost me 400 dollars. That included the removal and installation of new mufflers and 2 chrome tips. Since the STS already has a nice tip look to it, you'll save on cost.

It all depends on what kind of muffler you want and don't be afraid to steer away from OEM on this particular part, just make sure its a good quality muffler.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

IS there a vehicle inspection in texas OR is it just an emission system (EPA) inspection?

I do not live there but a BIG differance in apporaching this...

PS>>> My opinion yearly so called "safty inspections" are money makers, no signifigant differance in accidents between states with strick insp and those with no insp.

Emission inspections on OBDII vehicles has such a high pass rate that some states want to cancel the yearly emisson testing... cost benefit isn't there. just something else the EPA got WRONG

IS there a vehicle inspection in texas OR is it just an emission system (EPA) inspection?

I do not live there but a BIG differance in apporaching this...

PS>>> My opinion yearly so called "safty inspections" are money makers, no signifigant differance in accidents between states with strick insp and those with no insp.

Emission inspections on OBDII vehicles has such a high pass rate that some states want to cancel the yearly emisson testing... cost benefit isn't there. just something else the EPA got WRONG

Thank you for the speedy replies :] Lets see here...In texas, I was'nt required to get a emissions inspection. I am required to get a safety inspection. They checked my blinkers, break lights, headlights, and then the guy came up and told me that I had holes in my exhaust...So I went down underneith and I looked, and I only have a couple of holes in my mufflers.

Egreen, you said that you just got new mufflers. Will any muffler due? I dont know what mufflers will fit and which ones wont. Where do you suggest I look? Could you link me to a couple of mufflers that will fit and do the job?

Again, thank you for the replies.

Im pretty sure my 99 sts has condensation holes in the bottom of them for water to drop out. Is that what they are talking about, or are they rusted out? Hard to believe a 01 sts exhaust needs repair already.

-steve

It is a good point; the stock exhaust system is stainless steel, and unlikely to rust out. Can you post a photo of the mufflers?

You might try just going to a different inspection place first.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Im pretty sure my 99 sts has condensation holes in the bottom of them for water to drop out. Is that what they are talking about, or are they rusted out? Hard to believe a 01 sts exhaust needs repair already.

-steve

Well, the guy at the exhaust and muffler place said that they looked like condensation holes, but when I looked at it, it looked like it was rust, however I am by no means an expert at telling the difference between condensation holes or rusted out mufflers. It's a 01 with almost 30k miles on it. He asked where I got it from and I told him that the previous owner was an 80 year old woman. He said "Ohh, okay, well then she probably drove it to church and back, and then parked it in the garage, that's why you have those holes, because it would get wet in there and condence, thus putting those holes there"

I'll try to get some pictures for youg uys, but the only camera I have is on my phone and it's going to be hard to crawl in there and take a picture. I'll take it to another muffler place in town here and ask them what they think, and when i do that, maybe I'll be able to get a better picture of the bottom.

But like I was saying before...Can I just order almost any muffler and take it to a shop and have them weld it on? Or is there a certian size that a 01 seville sts requires? What kind of mufflers would you guys suggest? Im pretty sure there are only holes in the mufflers, not on the exhaust system it self, just on the mufflers.

But like I was saying before...Can I just order almost any muffler and take it to a shop and have them weld it on? Or is there a certian size that a 01 seville sts requires? What kind of mufflers would you guys suggest? Im pretty sure there are only holes in the mufflers, not on the exhaust system it self, just on the mufflers.

You will need a muffler that is a "2 inch [2 inch diamater pipe I believe on sevilles] offset-inlet, center-outlet"

Members on this forum have had great experience with Borla's but they will be louder than stock. It's all what your looking for.

For sure you want stainless, but the question is, do you want a bit of rumble when you hit the gas or super silent?

Borlas are more wide open, will give you some drone (I have no experience with them). I have Solo Storm Mufflers, I'm not sure if they're available in your area or not:

LINK: SOLO PERFORMANCE MUFFLERS

They have 3 levels, Stealth-stock or quieter, Storm-loud when you hit the gas, nearly elimnates cabin drone at cruising speed (sounds stock quiet at crusing) when you stop on it, then it comes to life, Mach-Wide open sound, much like a borla.

Hope this helps :) I know there are board members happy with Borla, MagnaFlow and Flowmaster. Any good muffler shop will have a variety of options and let you hear each one before you seal the deal.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

The 98+ Sevilles used a different size/shape muffler. It's not a straight in/out like the 99- DeVilles or 97- Sevilles. It's an unconventionally-shaped muffler that, when looked at from the top, has the inlet on the front inner corner and the outlet pretty much centered out the back. I don't think a standard universal muffler would weld on without further modification.

I second the notion to take the car to a different inspection station. Those OE mufflers should last the life of the car.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived