CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

It may be worth a try

kdaddy

OK, before I get everyone telling me that you should avoid what I am about to say regarding using certain "head/gasket/block" sealants, please just read.

As we all know it is quite common for problems to arise regarding bad head gaskets for the Aluminum V8s like the 4.1, 4.5, and 4.9. That being said I have looked into some of the sealants out on the market. Now keep in mind I'm not talking about radiator stop leaks but rather the products that require a complete drain of the coolant and the process by which you add the sealant along with water ONLY. The primary ingredient is something called Sodium silicate (liquid glass). This liquid glass can actually be purchased at pharmacies and craft shops. Essentially what happens is the liquid glass once in contact with combustion gasses fills and hardens in areas that are cracked within the Engine block/head/gasket. Surprisingly the best method is not the method on the can but rather one that entails leaving the mixture in while you drive the vehicle through various speeds and RPMs associated with normal driving. After sufficient road time (a few days) then you can drain the mixture out and replace with antifreeze. I am NOT suggesting this as a permanent fix BUT one that WILL provide you enough time to save money for a new set of gaskets. I know from my own experience (Chevy celebrity) that it worked AWSOME.

I would like to know other peoples sucesses or failures with products like K&W block Seal, Bars head repair, Thermagasket, etc. Basically I would like to know your experiences with Sodium Silicate products.

OK, before I get everyone telling me that you should avoid what I am about to say regarding using certain "head/gasket/block" sealants, please just read.

As we all know it is quite common for problems to arise regarding bad head gaskets for the Aluminum V8s like the 4.1, 4.5, and 4.9. That being said I have looked into some of the sealants out on the market. Now keep in mind I'm not talking about radiator stop leaks but rather the products that require a complete drain of the coolant and the process by which you add the sealant along with water ONLY. The primary ingredient is something called Sodium silicate (liquid glass). This liquid glass can actually be purchased at pharmacies and craft shops. Essentially what happens is the liquid glass once in contact with combustion gasses fills and hardens in areas that are cracked within the Engine block/head/gasket. Surprisingly the best method is not the method on the can but rather one that entails leaving the mixture in while you drive the vehicle through various speeds and RPMs associated with normal driving. After sufficient road time (a few days) then you can drain the mixture out and replace with antifreeze. I am NOT suggesting this as a permanent fix BUT one that WILL provide you enough time to save money for a new set of gaskets. I know from my own experience (Chevy celebrity) that it worked AWSOME.

I would like to know other peoples sucesses or failures with products like K&W block Seal, Bars head repair, Thermagasket, etc. Basically I would like to know your experiences with Sodium Silicate products.

I used it a couple of times long long ago on old cars. The last time I used it was on an 84 Fleetwood with the 4.1. Per a compression, it had a blown head gasket. Had water in the oil and oil in the water.

I was financially embarresed at the time. Meaning BROKE. :)

Got 2 quarts of the liquid glass at the drup store. Drained the system. Put in 1 quart with plain water. Took it out on the freeway, after changing the oil. Ran it for about 50 miles and came back home. Checked it the next morning. No oil in the water and no water in the oil. Drove it a few days to work. 50 mile round trip Drained it and refilled with anti freeze. Drove it another 5 years. Sold it. It was still running fine.

YMMV

I still have the other quart out in the shed somewhere. :) Just in case I ever need it.

Posted Image

Texas Jim,

Would chain Drug stores have it like CVS and others? Also, how much did it cost per quart? The products in the Auto stores usually run between $7-$10 dollars a can and usually are anywhere from 12 oz to 20 oz. A quart on the other hand is 32 oz.

Thanks

I have yet to find out which of the primary leaks sodium silicate will help best.

-For example, some have combustion gases going into the coolant and out the overflow canister.

-Others have water present in the oil.

-Lastly, some have coolant seeping in the combustion chambers and out the exhaust.

Would these products help remedy all three situations?

I don't think repairs in a bottle aka hope in a bottle, will work in any situation. They rely on desperation to sell their product. There is only one way to repair a head gasket.

EDIT: Missed Texas Jim's post. Hard to argue with success, but as you can see (if you read that lengthy thread), rfishing had no such luck.

Im still reading that VERY long thread. that being said you let the cat out of the bag regarding the end results. One thing I must say is that Rfishing had a northstar which typically has a probelm with the head bolts coming loose and there is no way sodium silicates would work. Also, he didn't seem to have ANY knowledge of what to do nor how to use. Lastly, he had all kinds of problems like TONS of stop leak and a loose radiator hose. This was probably the worst case scenerio. I must confess however that the one experience I had with a Chevy celebrity gushing water was repaired well with K&W blcok seal. My luck has been good.

Texas Jim,

Would chain Drug stores have it like CVS and others? Also, how much did it cost per quart? The products in the Auto stores usually run between $7-$10 dollars a can and usually are anywhere from 12 oz to 20 oz. A quart on the other hand is 32 oz.

Thanks

Every time I have bought it, I had to ask the Pharmacist for it. I don't remember ever seeing it sitting out in the open. Another name for it is Water Glass.

I remember it being less than 10 bucks a quart. But just remember that MY rememberer ain't what it used to be. :)

Posted Image

The thing with Northstars is, however, the head gaskets are only part of the problem. The headbolts actually PULL right OUT of the aluminum of the block. And of course no sealant can fix that.

Agreed. No sealant will help in that case.

Probably lucky for me that mine wasn't a Northstar.

Probably also lucky that it worked and even luckier that it held up. Sometimes when the planets are lined up right ..... luck works. :):)

Posted Image

This must be an "old school" fix using Sodium Silicate (water glass). I went into the CVS pharmacy and when I asked for it they all looked at me like I was CRAZY :blink: . What Pharmacy would sell this stuff. Maybe I will try Eckerds Drug Store. ????????????????? Any ideas? I doubt that chain store pharmacies would have this product. Places Like CVS and others are more like retail stores that just "happen" to have a pharmacy. Long gone are the days when a Pharmacy was a pharmacy. That being said, If anyone knows of other places that carry this product I would greatly appreciate it.

Google is your friend. A quick look revealed this, for example:

http://www.chemistrystore.com/sodium_silicate.htm

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

This must be an "old school" fix using Sodium Silicate (water glass). I went into the CVS pharmacy and when I asked for it they all looked at me like I was CRAZY :blink: . What Pharmacy would sell this stuff. Maybe I will try Eckerds Drug Store. ????????????????? Any ideas? I doubt that chain store pharmacies would have this product. Places Like CVS and others are more like retail stores that just "happen" to have a pharmacy. Long gone are the days when a Pharmacy was a pharmacy. That being said, If anyone knows of other places that carry this product I would greatly appreciate it.

The only place I ever found it was the little independent neighborhood pharmacies. Not at the big chains. But as you said, the little drug stores are fast disapearing. :(

Posted Image

. . . . But as you said, the little drug stores are fast disapearing. :(

And the little hardware stores, and the little book stores, and the little . . . .

Sad. Unavoidable, but still sad. :(

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

. . . . But as you said, the little drug stores are fast disapearing. :(

And the little hardware stores, and the little book stores, and the little . . . .

Sad. Unavoidable, but still sad. :(

Regards,

Warren

I agree it is sad. You used to be able to go into the local hardware store and tell the guy that you needed a thingamajig ... to fix whatever. If he didn't know exactly what you were talking about .... you described it to him .... "Oh yeah ... right over here. Yep, here it is." I sure miss THAT.

But we all, myself included, got used to going down to the megamarts so we could get groceries, have the oil changed, and get a new shirt, all in 1 stop, that we put the little Mom and Pop places out of business.

I take part of the blame, because I am as guilty as the next person of doing exactly the same thing. Then griping because I can't find the local friendly neighorhood stores when I REALLY need them.

Posted Image

....I take part of the blame, because I am as guilty as the next person of doing exactly the same thing. Then griping because I can't find the local friendly neighorhood stores when I REALLY need them.

It's not exactly in your neighborhood, but when it comes to hardware stores, Elliott's is still going strong in Dallas and now Plano.

http://www.elliottshardware.com/

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived