CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tires switched today...

Marika

I just had the mechanic switch over my tires today from my Dunlop Graspic-1 winter tires back to the Michelin WX4 tires.

What a difference going from total traction to no traction..... :lol::blink:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Hey! I just did the same thing! I have mine mounted on a spare set of rims, so it was a fast change. I'm not too keen on my winter tires although they had good traction. MC

Am I missing something here? I have XW4's on my car and have no traction problems. I've heard many complaints about them on this site and can't figure it out. Is it that I am not taking entrance/exit ramps on two wheels?

Am I missing something here? I have XW4's on my car and have no traction problems. I've heard many complaints about them on this site and can't figure it out. Is it that I am not taking entrance/exit ramps on two wheels?

Larry, when you voted in the poll concerning driving habits, was it you that indicated that you drive like an old fart? (JUST KIDDING)!!! :lol:;):wub:

Based on my own driving habits and knowing the New Jersey roads as I do, I'm acutely aware of how these tires track and I've noticed that their traction is not that great. I find myself sometimes oversteering with these tires because when I turn the wheel, the car doesn't immediately respond, I then have to turn it some more to make it finally respond. With the Dunlop Graspic-1 tires, turn the wheel just a touch and the car traveled in the direction you steered it. Instant steering response from the Dunlop tires as opposed to a "slipping delay" with the Michelins. Big difference.

Even the tirerack.com doesn't give the Michelins such high scores for traction. They are pretty much a summer tire for driving speeds up to about 55~60 mph at the most. :(

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Larry, you probably have heard me complain about the XW4s, in rain mine will spin easily pulling away from a light. I don't fishtail on turns however so they are not really that bad, its just that the power can overrun them in wet weather. This wet problem can be confirmed at the michelin site where they get a 4 out of 10 for wet handling.

What concerns me the most however is how they would react in the rain to hard or emergency braking, which I have not experienced yet. However I have not sensed that they are too bad so far. They may be perfect for your driving habits, AND they may be in good shape.... Mike

Larry, when you voted in the poll concerning driving habits, was it you that indicated that you drive like an old fart? (JUST KIDDING)!!! :lol:;):wub:

:lol: Actually no I didn't but in reality I'm probably not far from it. I guess that's why I have 82K on them and should get well over 90 and that makes them great tires (to me).

Scotty, I can't say that I have noticed spinning oon wet pavement but then as previously mentioned (other than an occasional WOT), I don't accelerate very hard, especially in wet weather. Maybe I do drive like an "old fart" :o can I vote again? :P

I just had the mechanic switch over my tires today from my Dunlop Graspic-1 winter tires back to the Michelin WX4 tires.

What a difference going from total traction to no traction..... :lol::blink:

Geez, if you hate 'em so much, quit using them and pick up a set of Pilots! ;)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

What a difference going from total traction to no traction.....  :lol:  :blink:

Geez, if you hate 'em so much, quit using them and pick up a set of Pilots! ;)

I've heard good things about the Pilots but I'm so impressed with the Dunlops that I've been eyeballing some of their other tires too.

We shall see..... ;)

Archived