CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Lots of codes! No radio/nav! HELP!

OK, I'll let everyone have the whole story, bear with me!

2002 Seville STS 81K

Yesterday, decided to check codes and got these:

IRC (Integrated Radio Chassis): U1000, U1016, B2463

IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster): U1016

MSM (Memory Seat Module):U1000

TTM (Tilt and Telescopic Steering Wheel Module): U1016

I cleared the codes, nothing was wrong. Now today I started the taking apart the car to get to the steering shaft. I had the door open (forgetting to turn the dome light off) and I took off a panel underneath the dash and just the one bolt for the top of the shaft. I then took off the front left wheel and decided I can't do this job and put it all back together. I kept hitting my trunk and gas door buttons and was getting irrtated so I slammed my trunk really hard once. I got in to move my car, started fine drove it around the block parked it on a snow bank leaning a little bit. Later I went to get some stuff, made a quick trip and parked it back in the same spot but facing the other direction. Everything was fine.

Now I just started it and it freaked out on me! I get Service Tire Monitor and Service Theft System! And my radio is blank and I can't turn it on! So I check the codes and get this:

AMP (Amplifier): U1000-Current

DIM (Dash Integration Module): B1983

IPM (Instrument Panel Integration Module): B1652

IRC: NO DATA (that's what it actually said, it also took a moment for that to register)

RFA (Remote Function Actuation): B1327

TTM: U1016

VTD (Vehicle Theft Deterent): B1327

I cleared all the codes and shut it off. I restarted it and it still said service tire monitor and none of my tire pressures registered and the radio/nav still isn't working. I drove a little ways and the tire pressures started working. I shut it off again after awhile and restarted it and I still got the AMP: U1000 and IRC: NO DATA. Everything seemed fine now except for the radio/nav. I can't get it to turn on. It's completly blank. I push the on button and nothing happens. I try to tilt it to get a dvd in and nothing happens.

I hope somebody can help me!! PLEASE!! :(

Codes:

U1000- Class 2 Communication Malfunction

U1016- Loss of Communication w/ PCM

B2463- Nav CD Player-No disk

B1983- Device Power Circuit Low

B1652- Loss of Keep Alive Memory (KAM)

B1327- Vehicle System Voltage Below 9.0 volts

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just went and checked it again and I noticed the the nav system is making a strange noise. It sounds like a CD player when it's trying to eject a CD but it's stuck...I played a movie in it the other day and took the movie out but didn't put the navigation cd back in...maybe that has something to do with it??

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

I have basically the same car as you with Nav. This has happened to me a couple of times. When the nav screen goes blank, lift up the back seat and disconnect the battery. Let it sit for a few minutes and reconnect. Nav screen will come back on with blue background and Cadillac symbol. In my case it happens when the battery goes dead and you have to boost it or put a charger on it long enough for car to start. The clicking you hear is the cd/DVD player in the nav unit. You should be able to push the tilt button long enough for the screen to open up and the disc to emerge. May have to clean disc and return to unit to have it work properly. When you get it out look at the version you have. I may have a later one. As far as the tire pressure issue. Once you remove a wheel from the car and it is out of range of the receiver or if the battery is dead or very low you will likely need to reset with a magnet the tire pressure sensors. A low or weak battery does a lot of strange things to the electronics of these cars wrt codes . The last time my battery was low, I kept getting a Theft system problem appear on the DIC. Turned out brand new battery was faulty and had to be replaced. You might want to have yours checked or replaced. Let me know how you make out

B1327 is a red flag.

Most of the modules become unreliable and flaky below 9 volts. Repair the battery situation and you should be good to go,

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

If you have cleared the codes from the DIC, the B1652- Loss of Keep Alive Memory (KAM) indicates that you are getting an intermittant, as JimD says, check battery and connections..... Don't panic....

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I have basically the same car as you with Nav. This has happened to me a couple of times. When the nav screen goes blank, lift up the back seat and disconnect the battery. Let it sit for a few minutes and reconnect. Nav screen will come back on with blue background and Cadillac symbol. In my case it happens when the battery goes dead and you have to boost it or put a charger on it long enough for car to start. The clicking you hear is the cd/DVD player in the nav unit. You should be able to push the tilt button long enough for the screen to open up and the disc to emerge. May have to clean disc and return to unit to have it work properly. When you get it out look at the version you have. I may have a later one. As far as the tire pressure issue. Once you remove a wheel from the car and it is out of range of the receiver or if the battery is dead or very low you will likely need to reset with a magnet the tire pressure sensors. A low or weak battery does a lot of strange things to the electronics of these cars wrt codes . The last time my battery was low, I kept getting a Theft system problem appear on the DIC. Turned out brand new battery was faulty and had to be replaced. You might want to have yours checked or replaced. Let me know how you make out

Does leaving the navigation disk out have something to do with it too? Do you think that if I hurry up and put the nav disk back in after I reconnect the battery everything should be ok? Is this all probably related to the battery? I suppose I left the door open long enough yesterday to get the battery low enough.

Thanks everyone for your responses! I'm charging the battery right now and I'm going to disconnect it in a little bit. I have to hurry because I have an appointment at 10! I'll update in a bit!

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

As Jim said, low voltage in the batter will cause havoc, there are so many interior lights in these cars that the interior lights suck it down quickly... There is actually a statement in SI that says to disconnect the battery when doing interior work as the interior lighting will quickly drain the battery ...

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

;) Wish I would have known that before!

So here's the update:

I held the tilt button on the navigation and nothing happened, but when I came back out it had tilted and said something like insert system disk. And when I tried to put in the nav disc it wouldn't do anything. So I hit tilt again and it ejected the disc and wouldn't fold back down.

So anyway...

I charged the battery, started it to make sure it was charged enough and disconnected the battery. I only left it off for 5 minutes because I was pressured for time. I hooked it back up and got service tire monitor again and the navigation was still messed up. Should I have left it off longer? I disconnected the negative, should I have done the positive?

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Not sure what you expect to accomplish by disconnecting the battery other than losing the gallons used in the fuel calculations.

Try a fresh beginning from a known condition. A fully charged battery in a known good condition, key ON, engine OFF, display all the codes and answer yes to ALL CLEAR CODES? at the end of the test.

Start engine and drive around for 30 minutes or so to be sure all systems are warmed up and ready to perform. Some of the monitors do not operate unless the car is moving; TPM is one of those.

Now you can test for systems that do not appear to be operating properly. Display the codes again and post any codes that coincide with whatever malfunctions you have observed.

Looks like I missed a post or two about why you were attacking the steering shaft.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

When you reconnected the battery, did the navigation screen come on ie. blue background with cadillac symbol in the middle. I would leave the charger on the battery and connected to the car just in case the battery is basically done. That way you should have enough voltage plus amperage to operate the radio. Get a strong magnet and reset the tire pressure sensors.

When you disconnect the battery it resets the navigation module which is within the display unit. Like I said, I have had to do it a couple of times in the past. I would concur that this is definitely a battery problem and if its the original it may well be done.

I'm thinking that my battery is toast. How long do you usually leave it unhooked? No, my display didn't come up with the crest and stuff. It's getting the steering shaft lubed right now so I can't try anything else right now.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

I'm thinking that my battery is toast. How long do you usually leave it unhooked? No, my display didn't come up with the crest and stuff. It's getting the steering shaft lubed right now so I can't try anything else right now.

Sorry hit the reply button twice! :blink:

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

This is rarely mentioned but I just saw it in SI..... NEVER disconnect the battery with the ignition key on.... it can damage the PCM.... not that you have done that, I just thought I would mention that here, since I read it this morning....

Patience.... Have your battery load tested... these batteries can go bad quickly make sure its fully charged and load tests good....

That would suck to unhook the battery with the ignition in. I'll do that stuff when I get it back.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Here's another thing I thought of, let me know if I'm worrying a little much. I was thinking that maybe the nav is shot. Maybe it just stopped working. Think that could have happened?

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Diagnostic System Check - Navigation System

Test Description

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

2) Lack of communication may be due to a partial malfunction of the class 2 serial data circuit or due to a total malfunction of the class 2 serial data circuit. The specified procedure will determine the particular condition.

3) Checks for DTCs for each module of the system.

4) The presence of DTCs which begin with "U" indicate some other module is not communicating. The specified procedure will compile all the available information before tests are performed.

IPB Image

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved

DTC B1327

Circuit Description

The DIM has a designated circuit for monitoring vehicle system voltage. Also, other modules monitor system voltage. The DIM sends a system voltage message to other modules that do not monitor system voltage via Class 2 message. When the DIM sets B1390, the system voltage message sent to the other modules will default to 12.9 volts.

Conditions for Running the DTC

This DTC shall run only if the DIM has power, ground and the ignition is not in START mode. This DTC shall execute regardless of the battery voltage, except when the DTC B1390 is set current.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

This DTC shall be set as current when the voltage falls below 9.0 volts for 1.2 seconds.

When the vehicle exits START the DIM shall delay checking the voltage for 2 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

A message shall be sent out on the class 2 lines to notify all other modules of low battery voltage.

The modules disable the setting of U codes and other DTCs.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

The DTC will clear current status when the voltage is less than 15.5 volts for 1.2 seconds.

A history DTC will clear after 50 consecutive ignition cycles if the condition for the malfunction is no longer present.

Use the ON-Board clearing DTCs feature.

Use a scan tool.

Test Description

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

Tests for the proper voltage at battery positive voltage sense circuit of the DIM, if voltage is not within the proper operating range, the voltage sense circuit needs to be tested.

Tests the ground sense circuit of the DIM.

Tests for the proper voltage at any other module setting the DTC B1327. If voltage is not within the proper operating range, the battery positive voltage and ground circuits of the module needs to be tested.

It's hard to use that table because you can't click the links.

I just disconnected the battery for 20 minutes to reset everything. I also checked all the fuses and all of them are ok. I hooked the battery back up and this is what the nav said "Preparing to Load System Software." Then it waited a second and said this,"CAUTION: Cannot load system software - disk type incorrect - please insert correct system disk"

Mind you I have no disk in there because it doesn't do anything with it in there.

I cleared the codes and went out and drove for 30 minutes and checked the codes again. Here it is AMP U1000 CURRENT. And NO IRC DATA.

Not sure what those mean, but I do know that I need to get this fixed because it's saying that message all the time on the screen and it won't shut off. It's draining my battery...again.

Does it say anything where you got that table? I don't have a scan tool, I just us the onboard diganostics.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

IRC is radio communication. The codes are telling you that the modules are not talking to the radio system ie. the amp. There is also a large amp fuse in that back fuse box under the seat. I believe it is fuse number 63. Be sure to check it out. The radio amp is directly behind the back of the back seat on the drivers side. I think it has 3 plugs going into it. You can see the connectors from the trunk if you remove the back panel. They are a lock in type of connector and shouldn't be loose but you might want to check out those connectors as well.

What I posted is meant as a guide, if you need any specific info, let me know, that is why I posted the B1327 info as it was pertinent..

I checked the amp fuse and it was ok, I'm going to go check the actual amp now.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Checked the amp, looks ok, but I'm not going to be able to tell if there is an internal problem.

BodyByFisher,

I have AMP U1000 current and NO IRC DATA. And then I have that message that I posted earlier. Do you think you could look that stuff up and see what you come up with? Thanks a lot for helping. This really sucks, I don't have the money to take it to the dealer to get it fixed.

ALSO: Figured out how to keep my battery from draining down. Just pulled the fuse for the navigation. Didn't solve the problem, but at least I don't have to worry about the battery running down.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

My memory told me that I dealt with the U1000 recently..

A search of the archives disclosed this thread from October 2006, there is good information regarding the U1000, my post #15 details the SI info.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...40&hl=U1000

So I'm guessing that I'm getting a U1000 for the AMP because it's not getting any communication from the radio (IRC). So whatever is wrong is just with the radio/nav. I'm guessing something happened when the battery was low and wiped the software off of the nav. I suppose the only thing I can do now is take it to the dealer to get it reprogrammed. Unless of course someone else has some miracle idea for me! I'm all ears!

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Archived