CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Brake lines failed

adallak

My rear brake lines never looked good. Recently I replaced the gas tank and had to disconnect/reconnect the fuel lines. They are very close to brake lines. Looks like I disturbed the rust… Lost my brake yesterday on my way to a hotel. 300 miles from home… Safely got the hotel. Next morning (-18F with wind) unplugged rear brake lines from the ABS hydraulic modulator, put plugs made of the pieces of a vacuum hose I kept in the trunk, plugged the lines back, added DOT3 to the master cylinder reservoir. No more leaks! I have only front brakes now, but it’s still better then no brakes at all…

Gents, if the condition of your brake lines is really bad do not wait for an accident to happen. I was VERY close to one yesterday. Usually rear brake lines fail first since they are longer and more exposed to road debris and salt. If they fail you can do the trick I did in the parking lot of the hotel. But it is safer and easier to do it BEFORE they fail. Just wanted to share with you another brake story. :)

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Glad it turned out well Adallak, I've had the pedal go to the floor(not on the Caddy) and that ain't a good feeling :blink:

Did you make the horn louder? :D

Joe

I am curious. did you regularly change the fluid? It appears you believe the lines rusted from the outside in.

Yep, the fluid was changed several times in seven years. The lines were rusted from outside. I knew something like that would happen sooner or later and had a can of DOT 3 in the trunk for awhile. I always keep an emergency tool supply in the thrunk as well.

Glad it turned out well Adallak, I've had the pedal go to the floor(not on the Caddy) and that ain't a good feeling :blink:

Did you make the horn louder? :D

Joe

:D I made a couple of MA guys really nervouse. Frankly, I was a lil bit scared too.

Well, yesterday I was driving to the hotel from work (still on a business trip) and noticed that the car was kind of slow! :blink: Stopped by a gas station, touched all the wheels and ... the rear right one is hot as hell! As I told I had to plug the both rear brake lines with pieces of rubber at the hydraulic modulator because I did not have the time to figure out which one is bad. :blink: It appears the right one was still good and the piece of rubber actually worked as a valve so that the caliper was under constant pressure. When the wheel cooled down I removed the wheel-tire assembly to look at the rotor and caliper. The rotor was RED, I guess it was cherry red before :lol: . I removed the plug from that particular line and everything is well so far (got some air in the system, but that's okay I'll get rid of it).

Will the caliper survive? I cannot imagine all the rubber parts would operate properly after such a thermal shock. How about the tire? Thanks.

Archived