CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Review: 1997 SLS

JasonA

This is a review of my 1997 Cadillac SLS. The original owner was a GM employee; it has been in the family since 1999.

It's been an excellent car, with excellent reliability. "Major repairs" over its lifetime have included new A/C parts, a new alternator, and a water pump change. Other maintenance items like brakes and tires and batteries have seemed to follow normal expectations.

Particular likes: the front seats are VERY comfortable. Excellent bucket seats in general. Side bolstering is moderate...not tight, but not flat either. I like these seats better than the ones in my '01. The Northstar engine is the 275 hp version, with the 3.11 final drive. I generally prefer this over the 300 hp/3.71 final drive in the Touring models, just because most of my driving is at lower RPMs and speeds. But once wicked up, even the 275 hp Northstar will sing all the way to redline. Fuel economy is excellent. I usually get 20 city and 30 highway. I also like the stand-up hood ornament and trunk pull-down motor, both Cadillac classics. The 4T80-E transmission is one of the best FWD transmissions I've driven.

Particular dislikes: there is some wind noise and road noise -- more than in my '01 Seville. Of course, many miles will do that...the '97 has logged about 156k miles so far. There's also not a whole heckuva lot of headroom, even with the seat at the full lowest position. And this car doesn't have a moonroof either -- which would reduce headroom even more. The rear suspension could also use new knuckles probably -- a common issue with the E/K platform. Other chassis' don't seem to have this issue...

Overall, an excellent car, and an excellent value. Nothing to complain about.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Thanks for posting. I am surprised at the wind/road noise comment; perhaps we need to explore how to improve sealing and noise isolation?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I think the wind noise is coming from the rear doors. The problem is lack of seal exercise. This car was basically a 4-door Eldorado. Nobody ever sat in the back seat.

And the road noise and texture probably comes from 150+k mile suspension bushings. Not a big deal really...and a lot of people prefer that "road feel". I just thought the difference between '97 and '01 was pretty striking, but again, I'm sure the miles has a lot to do with that as well.

I'm still looking for that pic of the two Seville's together :)

One interesting aspect of the SLS is how evolutionary the styling has become.

This body came out in the 1992 model year, morphed into the 1998 model, and ran

through 2004 up in Canada. That's a pretty impressive run.

I can't think of too many 1997 cars that have aged as well as your SLS. The jelly bean

copycats of the 90's look dated, by comparison.

This is my favourite pic of your car.

post-1542-1173665124.jpg

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Thanks Ted. That's one of my favorites too. ;)

Yes, I'll get a good picture of the two together someday soon.

Archived