CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Oh oh, this doesn't look good....

Well, yesterday evening I parked my car out front to take my "garaged" Camaro SS for s spin. Later, when I went to pull the STS back up, it didn't turn over. I turned the headlights on and they showed bright. I tried to jump the car anyway, and to no availe. I locked it up and figured I tackle it the next day.

Today I check the battery cables and they were fine. I jacked the car up on stands and figured I'd find an easy-to-get-to starter underneath,...alas, it wasn't there. I followed the power cable and it disappears underneath the intake cover. I pulled the cover and the cable disappears under the intake. Is that where the starter is ????

Any help on diagnosing a starter versus starter solenoid would be much appreciated, with any R & R tips. I don't want to dive into it until I'm sure. (I knew it was an omen when all the local parts houses said it would be a special order...)

Yep, that's where the starter is. When I first discovered that, I thought the same thing "oh please God, don't let this starter fail". I have not had to replace one yet but from what I have read on this site it is pretty easy. 1 hr job. There were pics on the old site but I am unable to find them. :(

before replacing the starter make sure it gets enough POWER from the battery.

the voltage may be allright bur it wont get enough CURRENT (amps). I had similar problem, put an additional cable from positive battery to the related contact on the starter. this "temporary" fix have been working for some 5 months.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

About five years ago, fourth floor parking garage, downtown, same condition as yours. I had the same reaction.

Not possible to get tow truck into the parking facility.

I purchased a rebuilt starter from GM, bought a 12V bulb for my trouble light, gathered tools from home, took Wife's car to the parking garage.

Used the trouble light, (12V) from her car, and removed the intake and replaced the starter.

The security guy cruised by as I was into the middle of the job. He asked what I was doing, told him car won't start, needed to replace the starter, he said OK, carry on.

Took about an hour, new starter worked fine.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

I would reccommend that before removing the intake you do the old fashioned check.

Often the starter is just not getting enough power even though the lights will still work.

Remove and clean the battery cables. Always remove the negative cable first; to avoid shorting any thing with a wrench.

I use a small brass brush with some soap and water, scrub untill the cable ends are bright and shiny. If necessary scrape them with a screwdriver to remove hard scale build-up from both sides of the terminal end.

Scrub the battery terminals also, until the lead shows bright.

Wire brush the terminal bolts as necessary to get them clean and bright.

Check the ground cable to the block, just follow it from the battery. It is right at the front of the block. Remove and clean cable end and the stud it attaches to.

Reattach the cable to the block stud.

Reattach the cables to the battery, positive cable first. Make sure the cables are on snug.

Hopefully it will now start.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Check the battery also. I once changed a starter on a '72 Deville 3 times (got very good at it) thinking the starter was bad. It had to be because I first replaced the battery. Turned out the battery had a dead cell right off the shelf :angry:

Took about an hour, new starter worked fine.

Barry

Do you have a simple step-by-step procedure for removing the intake after you take off the intake cover ?

Mines a '93, so it should the same as yours....

Did you replace the intake gasket ?

(Thanks in advance)

You should be able to prop up the passinger side of the intake manifold enough to gain access to the starter. Be careful not to crimp the fuel line. After lifting up the manifold I used a couple of short 2x4's to keep the manifold out of the way. As long as your in there you may as well remove the phenolic spacers and de-carbon the engine. This is for the 4.6L engine. This needs to be done about every 100k miles. The gaskets should be O.K. to reuse.

Do you have a simple step-by-step procedure for removing the intake after you take off the intake cover ?

No need to take off the cover.

Just remove the four recessed bolts and the whole assembly comes off as a unit.

I did not disconnect the gas lines as I didn't have that tool. Kind of rotated the whole unit up far enough to access the starter.

The intake gaskets are reusable if not damaged.

You should take the time to clean the carbon from the spacers and all the other passages for the EGR system.

I don't recall what else I had to remove. From what I remember is was a fairly simple job.

Good luck.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Archived