CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Might purchase 94 Eldorado need Help

9000rpm

Was that at a dealership that you were quoted $1200? And was that for just the case seals or with the rear main seal, and heater fan housing also?

Yes, it was a dealership but it was about 5 years ago and it included the rear main seal. I remember a GM mechanic that used to frequent this site said that they can now do a case halves with the engine in the car.

Today the cadillac dealership told me it would cost $2400 to have it done. So I figured I would call around to see what other kind of estimates I could get. Three different places all told me they wouldn't do it. I called up my friends dad and told him the story, and asked him if he would give me a break and go even with me, even though he sold the car to me as is, I asked if he would lower the cost to what he paid for it at auction (he has a bonded dealer license, which is how he got the car) He told me that what he sold it to me for is pretty much what he has paid for the car, including the radiator that he had replaced and the auction fees. He did tell me one other place I should try calling and getting an estimate from though, but if I want I can sell the car back to him. If I do that I will be at a loss, since I have spent $190 to register the car, and $40 to inspect it. Tommorow I'll have to make a call to get that estimate and go from there. If its still around $2400 I can afford it, but I just don't know if its worth it. Bummer

If the case half is leaking, my advice is just to live with it rather than shell out $2400 to fix it. It is a nuisance but won't hurt anything as it is not in the pressurized part of the oil system.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I got a hold of the shop my friends dad told me to call, and they said it sounds like its the rear main seal, and if it is then only the transmission needs to be removed, not the engine. The total cost for that would be around $850. I'm gonna drop it off there today after work, because they said they would take a look at it. I would live with it, if the oil didn't smoke when the engine gets hot, but since it does it comes in through the air vents, and if I drive in it for a while my eyes start to sting a little :rolleyes: Plus my mom has been yelling at me for the oil on the driveway. <_<

I got a hold of the shop my friends dad told me to call, and they said it sounds like its the rear main seal, and if it is then only the transmission needs to be removed, not the engine. The total cost for that would be around $850. I'm gonna drop it off there today after work, because they said they would take a look at it. I would live with it, if the oil didn't smoke when the engine gets hot, but since it does it comes in through the air vents, and if I drive in it for a while my eyes start to sting a little :rolleyes: Plus my mom has been yelling at me for the oil on the driveway. <_<

Rear main seal leaks/failures are very rare with the Northstar engine... It sounds like you have the case half leak and the way to repair it is to either remove the trans or engine and install the revised gasket with anerobic sealant. I would be very suspect that that could be done for $850, much less done properly... Ask this shop how much expierence they have with the Northstar engine.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Has anyone put dye in the oil to confirm the leak is the case halves? A lot of dealerships are quick to jump to the case halves. Clean the bottom of the engine off good and add dye to the oil, drive it for a while then take a black light and shine it on the engine and the oil leak will show itself. Mine leaks around the oil pan and has been doing so for 5 years. The pan is prone to leak around the bolts. The bolts will work loose. The problem is that the engine has to be pulled to remove the oil pan. The other solution is to do what someone has already tried on your car. Try to work RTV into the cracks where it is leaking.

The good thing is that the underside of the car will not rust with an oil leak.

Archived