CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

No heat!!!

Ed Hall

I recently had to replace the heater core due to the Kragen replacement I had put in 2 years ago started leaking. Now I'm getting no heat. I thought it was probably a misadjustment of the heater door/air diverter. I took the glove compartment out to look at the heater door with the car on and it is working properly. I also felt the inlet and outlet pipes on the heater core and they're hot. What's going on? Why am I not getting any heat?

IPB Image

Hmmm, mystery. Maybe tonight I'll pull everything apart to get to the heater core and see if it warms up. Wonder if it's a possibility that there is something wrong with the T fitting.

IPB Image

Are the lines at the core hot on both sides?

It shouldn't make any difference I know but I once installed a core with the hoses reversed and the core wouldn't heat up.

Why I do not know but as soon as the lines were reversed it worked fine.

Just a thought. Good luck.

Are the lines at the core hot on both sides?

It shouldn't make any difference I know but I once installed a core with the hoses reversed and the core wouldn't heat up.

Why I do not know but as soon as the lines were reversed it worked fine.

Just a thought. Good luck.

I guess I should have marked on the hoses to where each one goes. :( Does anyone know how I can tell if I got the hoses reversed? I looked in my service manual but could not find any information on this. I looked at the hoses and the hose that runs from the top left hand side of the T goes to the top nipple on the heater core. This information would be very helpful because it could save me from having to try to reverse the hoses. Anyone who has worked on one of these knows it is a pain to get these hoses off.

IPB Image

Chances are, if the manual specifies an inlet and outlet it could affect it. I hate to say it but I would try switching them in light of the other post in which that guy said switching the hoses fixed it.

In the picture, the arrow points to the nipple that goes to the heater core. My question is which direction is the water suppose to flow from this Tee? Basically, I'm trying to figure out which hose is the inlet and which hose is the outlet.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Ed,

I think the leg of the "T" with the restrictor is the inlet line, though I wouldn't swear to that.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more sense it makes that it would be on the outlet line. I searched for it. but I cannot find a post on it. Too bad all the Guru's posts were deleted. I know he mentioned it many times.

Update:

All fixed. :) Every time I have a frustrating problem like this, I just think about how I get to drive such an awesome car and not have to pay payments. Anyways, I did switch the pipes that go to the heater core around but it did not fix the problem. I also made sure there wasn't any restriction in the heater core by blowing into one end of the hose. Next thing I did was remove the Tee to make sure it was hooked up correctly and that there was no restriction.

This is the proper hook up for the Tee. The leg from the thermostat is not restricted. The leg that goes toward the heater circuit is restricted and the third leg that goes toward to front of the engine is also restricted. Basically, part of the water from the thermostat is diverted between the heater core and the leg that goes toward the front of the engine. To further ensure that water was flowing into the heater core, I took a pair of vice grips and blocked off the leg that goes to the front of the engine. I then drove the car around the block and still no heat. I then started to poke around the heater air box inside the glove compartment and found that it was warm which meant the heater core was working. I then examined the air diverter linkage and found the it was binding and not opening up completely. Anyways, I got that problem fixed and now the inside of the car heats up like an oven.

IPB Image

The leg that goes toward the heater circuit is restricted and the third leg that goes toward to front of the engine is also restricted.

HUH? I would sear I remember the GURU saying only one leg is restricted. Am I the only one?

You are correct that the GURU did say that only one leg is restricted however, my original equipment Tee has 2 legs that are restricted.

Correct. Two restrictions. Guru was wrong on this one. :D

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived