CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

heater core hoses

joeb

i have an occasional leak at the firewall on my car. i noticed the hoses have screw clamps. the new hoses i picked up have spring clamps. does this mean someone tried to stop the leak before by putting screw clamps on? i took out the overflow/surge tank because i thought that was the source of the leak. turns out it was the heater hose. if i loosen the clamps, will the hoses come off without much effort? i have heard that these hoses are very stubborn to get off.

i looked at the hoses more closely. the clamps seem to have a small rivet or pin that locates the clamp on the hose. seems to me thats the way GM did it. the clamp on the radiator hose was similar. maybe the hoses are GM replacement hoses to stop small leaks on OEM hoses.

I have noticed those rivets on my hoses as well. Looks like they would be a real bear to remove. I don't understand the reason for riveting the hose clamp to the hose and or nipple. How do you remove them (I dread the thought). What say you, Guru. Any explanation and or advice?

I have noticed those rivets on my hoses as well. Looks like they would be a real bear to remove. I don't understand the reason for riveting the hose clamp to the hose and or nipple. How do you remove them (I dread the thought). What say you, Guru. Any explanation and or advice?

Larry,

Many times, the hose clamps are attached to the hose to aid the GM assembly personnel - it saves them from the added operation of adding the clamp.

Some clamps have a "gernade pin" as well - the assembly worker slips the hose with the attached clamp over the fitting and then pulls the pin to complete the installation of the hose.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

One reason, is likely to locate the clamp. Especially in tight areas, you may not be able to get both a hand to hold the clamp, and a screwdriver or nutdriver to tighten it. With the rivet, you only need to position the hose so the retainer is accessible.

Also, with the worm-screw type clamps, sometimes they "creep" when tightened, moving the fastener away from the tool if space is tight.

Archived