CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

A timesert failure vs block failure?

truant

The dealer that Timeserted my '97 STS was too lazy to use the drill fixture and installed the Timeserts 1/4" too deep in the block. The repair lasted five weeks, the dealer would not stand behind the repair so the car was sold (to me at a bargain price :) ) and I repaired it with the Bigserts and have 7600 miles on the repair.

KHE,

I'm considering a couple of things.

1. talk with dealership.. go over the warrantee they provided.. see what they excluded in writting (I like the argument presented above about not excluding it means it is included). If it turns out they didn't warrantee it...

2. give dealership the option of buying the car off me.

3. discuss small claims court, either against them or the aftermarket warrantee co.

4. do the job myself with the BIGSERT.

Someone mentioned that it IS possible to pull the engine UP out of the car. I see the two lift-points for doing just this. Looks like I could have it out of the car in a day or two.

How many engines have you timeserted or BIGSERTed? Is it a pain in the butt? I haven't done an engine (swap) job in 5 years, and have never taken the heads off an engine (although my brother has) but even that was an iron block.. none of this aluminum horseradish.

Next question.. how much does the engine& tranny weigh?

How long does it take to get out of the car for an average mechanic?

I suppose that last question could be split into:

a.) how long does it take to disconnect & or remove the accessories that attach the engine to the car?

b.) how long to pull the axles?

c.) how long to lift (although I could guess this part.. it's the prep that takes all the time)

OR

a.) how long to disconnect & or remove the accessories that attach the CRADLE to the car?

b.) how heavy do you figure the body of the car is without the engine cradle? Suppose it is balanced front to back? (I don't have a lift, but I'm wicked good at improvising crasy stunts like this.. give me a couple of good oak trees and a chain-fall and I'm in great shape). Or I could spring the $1500 for a lift.

Thanks

The dealer that Timeserted my '97 STS was too lazy to use the drill fixture and installed the Timeserts 1/4" too deep in the block. The repair lasted five weeks, the dealer would not stand behind the repair so the car was sold (to me at a bargain price :) ) and I repaired it with the Bigserts and have 7600 miles on the repair.

KHE,

I'm considering a couple of things.

1. talk with dealership.. go over the warrantee they provided.. see what they excluded in writting (I like the argument presented above about not excluding it means it is included). If it turns out they didn't warrantee it...

2. give dealership the option of buying the car off me.

3. discuss small claims court, either against them or the aftermarket warrantee co.

4. do the job myself with the BIGSERT.

Someone mentioned that it IS possible to pull the engine UP out of the car. I see the two lift-points for doing just this. Looks like I could have it out of the car in a day or two.

How many engines have you timeserted or BIGSERTed? Is it a pain in the butt? I haven't done an engine (swap) job in 5 years, and have never taken the heads off an engine (although my brother has) but even that was an iron block.. none of this aluminum horseradish.

Next question.. how much does the engine& tranny weigh?

How long does it take to get out of the car for an average mechanic?

I suppose that last question could be split into:

a.) how long does it take to disconnect & or remove the accessories that attach the engine to the car?

b.) how long to pull the axles?

c.) how long to lift (although I could guess this part.. it's the prep that takes all the time)

OR

a.) how long to disconnect & or remove the accessories that attach the CRADLE to the car?

b.) how heavy do you figure the body of the car is without the engine cradle? Suppose it is balanced front to back? (I don't have a lift, but I'm wicked good at improvising crasy stunts like this.. give me a couple of good oak trees and a chain-fall and I'm in great shape). Or I could spring the $1500 for a lift.

Thanks

I would not let the dealer steal the car from you. They will not give you much money for it - you're better off getting it fixed elsewhere. At least get it torn down so you can see if it was Timeserted.

I used the Bigserts in my '97 STS as the original Timeserts were installed improperly and ripped out when I removed the head bolts. I pulled my engine from the top side but if I were to do another one, I would drop the cradle. I did the job in my garage over the course of about 3-4 weeks but that included wait time for parts as well as replacing the HVAC housing. I also took three evenings to install the Timeserts as I wanted to let the Loctite cure before using the holes for the drill fixture. I realized that step wasn't necessary and I could have done the inserts in one evening. Installing the Timeserts is not difficult - it is time consuming to clean out the shavings and cutting oil before installing the insert - but it is a step critical to the success of the job. Get three or four cans of brake cleaner spray... When removing bolts, brackets, etc, I labeled everything and packed the parts in ziplock bags. There is a LOT of hardware and I did not want to have any parts left over or not have enough bolts left...LOL.

If I repair another one, I may lift the body off the cradle with an engine hoist as described earlier. It is doable through the top side but there are a lot of bolts at awkward angles that would be much easier to remove with the cradle out of the car. An engine hoist will easily lift the front of the car without the engine and trans.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 1 month later...

Archived