CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Transmission fluid change

Spurlee

Here at the forum I read a thread about "power flushing" the transmission by disconnecting the top side transmission cooler line and attaching a hose to direct the fluid to a bucket while idling the engine.

I justdid it this evening and actually, it's very easy and fast. My concern is that it only pumped out 6 quarts of the 17 quart capacity - less than a third. Hardly a "change", more of a "recharge". <_<

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

isn't that bad for the pump to run all the fluid out?

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Did you just pump out the fluid or did you also drop the pan? My thoughts are that maybe that method only pumps out the torque converter and not the pan. Anyone know for sure?

There is a scavenger pump that moves fluid out of the bottom pan. That is the reason you have to remove the drain plug after the bottom cover is removed if you choose to drain the fluid that way.

The pressure pump will push very close to 12 quarts of fluid out the cooling line.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

isn't that bad for the pump to run all the fluid out?

As long as it is in park and you shut the engine off when you see air bubbles, it won't damage the trans. You do not want to let the engine idle after the fluid is pumped out or you can harm the pump bearings.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived