CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Pause when acelerating

raz

I brought my 2000 STS for service due to a pause of about a second or two when i wot. After flooring it a couple of times, i eventually got the check engine soon light to come on. My wife brought it in this morning and naturally the check engine light went off when the service advisor checked it. He did pull up the codes and found some but did not know what they were. I got the car back this evening. They changed the crankshaft sensors, but i still notice the delay when wot. I called the service advisor and he said it was due for a throttle cleaning and fuel filter change and it would cost me $300. I don't buy it, and told him i will get back with him next week. My wife filled the car up with medium grade at shell, maybe i got some bad gas. What do you all think. I need to know how to pull up the codes on the 2000 STS.

Please Help!

hey - just put the key in the ignition, and turn it to the 'ON' position, don't start it... then hold BOTH the ''off'' and ''passenger warmer'' button and then the codes will appear.. write them down and then post back

Good luck

-Eric

Eric

93 Cad Seville 100K

95 Chev Blazer 143K [garaged summers] :)

This might be more than you want to know about OBDII code retrieval for the STS; pardon the use of bandwidth while I copy / paste a file...

You will use the 3 switches located to the right of the Driver Information Center (DIC) to activate and respond to the OBD prompts on the DIC.

ON/OFF = YES

INFO RESET = NO

INFO DOWN or INFO UP = manual toggle

Ignition ON, acknowledge any warning messages; press ON/OFF and INFO UP together for 2 to 3 seconds. Everything in front of you lights up for 4 or 5 seconds, then you will see:

Display shows "ALL?"

Answering YES will display "ALL CODES?"

Answering YES will run automatic test sequence and display codes, if any. Systems and codes will scroll faster than I am able to read them and write them; not to worry.

"ALL CLEAR CODES?" will display at the end of the automatic test. If you are satisfied you have the information you need, answer YES to erase all error codes.

Answering "ALL?" with INFO DOWN will toggle systems test manually in order.

Answering "ALL?" with INFO UP will toggle system test manually in reverse order.

Press INFO RESET to reset DIC to "ALL?" to start again.

Ignition OFF to get out.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

OK to get the codes up i had to hold the up arrow and the off button. No codes were listed except 2 that read history. They were MSM B1850 and PCM P1106 History. I cleared all codes.

My wife brought it in this morning and naturally the check engine light went off when the service advisor checked it. He did pull up the codes and found some but did not know what they were. I got the car back this evening. They changed the crankshaft sensors, but i still notice the delay when wot. I called the service advisor and he said it was due for a throttle cleaning and fuel filter change and it would cost me $300. I don't buy it, and told him i will get back with him next week.

That's your problem right there. The guy at a CADILLAC DEALERSHIP pulled the codes and DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY MEAN??? Then he threw some parts at it hoping to fix it, and now that it didn't, he wants to sell you some more work off the cuff!!

Follow JimD's instructions and pull the codes yourself and report back. We'll try to help you get it back right. That dealership sounds about as useful as a push mower on a football field.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

OK to get the codes up i had to hold the up arrow and the off button. No codes were listed except 2 that read history. They were MSM B1850 and PCM P1106 History. I cleared all codes.

Your P1106 might be a clue; "Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor Circuit Intermittent High Voltage". Drive it and see if the code returns.

Is the MAP wiring harness connector clean and seated properly? Otherwise, you might clean the MAP sensor or replace it.

Are you using an oil coated air filter????

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I have a fram filter in there about 4000 miles old. Tomorrow i am going to get a AC Delco filter. I don't care for the Fram because i believe it is thicker and may restrict airflow.

Where is the map sensor connector? Is it after the air filter on the shroud to the intake?

Disclaimer: mine is a '98 and there are some differences between our engines.

Remove the trim cover from the top of the intake manifold (4 nuts). The MAP sensor is directly downstream of the throttle body assembly; has a 3 wire connector.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

OK I checked the codes today. I found a DIM B1324 and a PCM P1106 code. The PCM code keeps appearing, if i clear it and drive around the block it will return. I still get a 1 to 2 sec hesitation when WOT, not always but a good 50 % of the time.

Please help, if anyone can tell me what these codes mean. I changed the fuel filter and air filter. I looked at the throttle body and it was clean on the outside and fuel or oily type deposits in the inside of throttle.

I need any help you can give. It is pathetic the ingnorance of some dealerships. Why would they return the car when there are codes on the computer.

If you are comfortable under the hood, pull that trim cover off the intake and locate the MAP connecter immediately downstream of the the throttle body. The MAP sensor is mounted on the plastic intake manifold.

Exercise that connector a few times and be sure the connection is clean and tight. Clear the codes and drive it again.

Could be a bad sensor - or a bad connection. Among other things, the MAP sensor plays a part in determining when EGR is active and EGR action "could be" causing your hesitation.

Your B1324 code is an A/C problem and not related to driveability.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I looked for the map sensor Jim. I was unable to find it , our engines are slightly different i have only 2 bolts to remove cover but is the sensor to the left,center or right side under cover by the throttle body. I see one sensor that seems to swivel left and right on the throttle body is that it.

I looked for the map sensor Jim. I was unable to find it , our engines are slightly different i have only 2 bolts to remove cover but is the sensor to the left,center or right side under cover by the throttle body. I see one sensor that seems to swivel left and right on the throttle body is that it.

OK. You are looking for a sensor bolted to the intake manifold with a probe that goes inside the manifold.

My MAP sensor has a 3 wire connector and is very obvious under there. Looks like we have reached the limit of my ability to help you find components on a 2000 model.

Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I went back to the dealer and explained the error code to the dealer. He said bring it by at 3:00 today, so my wife dropped off the car and they changed the map sensor. When they checked the codes there were none, strange. Do codes automatically erase themselves? Bottom line it seems to run fine now even at full WOT. I also used some gm throttle body cleaner to clean the butterfly and throttle body.

Thanks to all who replied.

Raz

The code will go from current to history after 3 ingition cycles with no problems detected. It will stay in history for 40 or 50 ignition cycles with no problems detected. Then it will be deleted unless previously cleared manually.

Archived