CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1985 Fleetwood Brougham Caught on FIRE HELP!!!!!

datboicaddy

My caddy caught in fire when engine turned over the gas seems to come out of the carb and flames up i thought it might be the fuel pump but not sure also my cousin discover a reley or fuse whatever missing its marked for the fuel pump but the wires for it are gone like they were never there pleasehelp me out thanks, CaddyLand

Sounds like it backfired. I think you mean throttle body, not carb - Your car has digital fuel injection so there is no carb... Did you get the fire out before it caused any damage?

I would verify that there are no fuel leaks - check the fuel pipes to and from the throttle body - you can turn the ignition to ON without cranking and that will pressurize the fuel system. You may have an injector that is stuck open.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Sounds like it backfired. I think you mean throttle body, not carb - Your car has digital fuel injection so there is no carb... Did you get the fire out before it caused any damage?

I would verify that there are no fuel leaks - check the fuel pipes to and from the throttle body - you can turn the ignition to ON without cranking and that will pressurize the fuel system. You may have an injector that is stuck open.

wats the injector the two things on the top of the engine that look like nozzles and how do i get the injecter unstuck if that the problem thanks a lot

There are two injectors - turn the key to ON to pressurize the fuel system and inspect the fuel lines for leaks. Also verify that the injectors are not dripping fuel. If they are, they will need to be cleaned or replaced. There are places that will untrasonically clean injectors and install new seals, etc. You really can't clean injectors yourself unless you have the equipment.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

also i have to spray engine stater and then start it but then when i try to turn it over it burst into flames like it said earlier the reley that is mark for fuel pump and the wires for it are missing becuase if i try to start it without engine starter it will just turn over thanks alot

Not sure what to make of the missing fuel pump relay... but do you hear the pump run when you turn the key to ON? Listen by the fuel tank and you should hear a buzz for 2 seconds or so after turning the key to ON.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what to make of the missing fuel pump relay... but do you hear the pump run when you turn the key to ON? Listen by the fuel tank and you should hear a buzz for 2 seconds or so after turning the key to ON.

i havent been on here in a while but i dont hear anything like buzzing could a nonworking fuel pump cause it to backfire thank alot man

i havent been on here in a while but i dont hear anything like buzzing could a nonworking fuel pump cause it to backfire thank alot man

I would guess that the starter fluid is what caused the backfire!?!

Is this a car that you just got?, have you had it running before?

Matt

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "darn...that was fun!"

www.madd.ca

A totally non working fuel pump would not cause backfires, but if it is providing low pressure it might, put a fuel pressure gage on it, and see if you are getting pressure with the key on.

Be careful with starting fluid. Check for fuel pressure. Do you smell fuel? Is the engine flooded?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Matt

yes i bought last month the guy i bought it from said he had to start it with starting fluid i hate to see this car just sit and rust the body is perfect also i talked to a engine repair guy and said mabye the camshaft or timing might need to replaced i want to get it running before christmas thanks a lot

Matt

yes i bought last month the guy i bought it from said he had to start it with starting fluid i hate to see this car just sit and rust the body is perfect also i talked to a engine repair guy and said mabye the camshaft or timing might need to replaced i want to get it running before christmas thanks a lot

sorry but i forgot the car did run a little then cut of but i started it again it backfired when i stepped on the gas a little bit and burst it flames this right after i bought it

I finally got it pulled to a shop. I told them basically just get it runnin, so i hope it won't be too long before I get it back. Thanks for all of the help you guys I'll post again and tell you what they find out. Peace Out Partna

Archived