CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Infrared Images with a Digital Camera

I took a few IR pictures today that I thought I would share with everyone.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

WOW! Beautiful! Is that Northern, NJ? I thought it might be Buffalo.

Yes, it's northern NJ. Right in my town. Amazing how infrared can take the most boring sights and turn them into something extraordinary. :)

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Yes . Very nice pics. Share with us the "How to"

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

First of all, I want you all to read up the following sites:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/infrared/

http://www.jr-worldwi.de/photo/index.html?irbasic.html

Those two sites will give you a very good idea of what's involved with IR digital photography.

All CCD sensors and CMOS sensors can detect the Near Infrared. Camera manufacturers place a hot mirror filter in front of the sensor to remove most if not all of the IR so some cameras are more sensitive than others. You should test your camera first and to do this, you need a TV remote control. Turn your camera on and point it at the TV remote control. While looking at the remote control through the camera press some of the buttons on the remote control. You should see a purple or purple/white light. If you do see it, your camera is IR sensitive. If you don't see it, then your camera completely blocks IR and you won't be able to take digital IR photos. Once you've determined the IR sensitivity of your camera, you will need the following: a sturdy tripod, "possibly" a cable release and the famous Hoya brand Infrared filter known as the Hoya R72 filter.

CCD and CMOS sensors will sometimes generate false colors when shooting through an IR filter. These colors can end up very pretty and interesting or they can be downright ugly. My recommendation is to make sure you can do a custom white balance with the R72 filter in place before you start shooting. Reading the explanation as to why white balance is important for IR photography at those two sites above will pretty much explain the whole mess to you.

IR digital photography is waaaaaaay easier than the old fashioned way that I remember using which involved special film handling, etc.

Very nice pics, as usual....

I tried my camera, I can see a whitish-purple light in my remote... in fact, I seem to have a "double-barreled" remote, there's two lights, side by side....

I may have to give that a shot.... thanks for the "how-to"...

I'm still transitioning from film to digital.... I love the convenience of digital, but I think what I really need is a digital SLR style deal, because I really miss being able to play around with shutter speeds, f-stops, and all that stuff, to get what I really want.....

There's something really addicting about digital, though.... back in the day, it cost a lot of film to just keep shooting, and hope for the best.... with digital, it's free! Keep shooting!! Try for that one in a million photo!

Okay, I guess my pile of memory cards wasn't free, but....

Thanks for posting that!

Very nice pics, as usual....

I tried my camera, I can see a whitish-purple light in my remote... in fact, I seem to have a "double-barreled" remote, there's two lights, side by side....

I may have to give that a shot.... thanks for the "how-to"...

I'm still transitioning from film to digital.... I love the convenience of digital, but I think what I really need is a digital SLR style deal, because I really miss being able to play around with shutter speeds, f-stops, and all that stuff, to get what I really want.....

There's something really addicting about digital, though.... back in the day, it cost a lot of film to just keep shooting, and hope for the best.... with digital, it's free! Keep shooting!! Try for that one in a million photo!

Okay, I guess my pile of memory cards wasn't free, but....

Thanks for posting that!

Here's another good site you can read about digital IR photography:

http://dpfwiw.com/ir.htm More interesting information to read up on.

A word of warning:

NEVER look directly through a UV (Ultra Violet) or IR (Infrared) filter if you are holding the filter up in front of your eyes and looking at the sun. Always place the filter on the camera lens, then look through the filter via the viewfinder of the camera.

UV and IR filters both remove visible light while allowing through the wavelengths they were designed for. Both UV and IR radiation will BURN the optic nerve in your eye as well as burn your corneas and the lens inside your eye. Use caution and common sense when messing around with UV and IR radiation. :blink:

Archived