CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Parking the caddy for winter

i am about to put my 1996 sts away for the year, does anyone have any tips for winterizing a vehicle, i just changed the oil as part of my warrenty, should i use any sort of stabalizers for any of the fluids? and other ideas.... thanks in advance gentlemen

I can tell you what I do with my Fleetwood - I let the gas get to about 1/4 tank and then add a quart of 2-cycle oil to the fuel along with some fuel stabilizer. I'll usually make a few trips into work in order to let it coat everything and then right before I take the car to the storage facility, I change the oil. Once the car is in the storage facility, turn the climate control to OFF and remove the battery. Do not start the engine until you are ready to drive the car in the spring. Once you remove it from storage, add a can of isopropyl gas line anti-freeze and fill the tank.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I do the same thing with the 2-cycle oil....

Also, I put the tire pressure up to 38-40....

I don't take out the battery, but that's probably a good idea...

The 1997 Eldorado owner's manual says to disconnect the negative terminal if you're going to leave the car for more than two weeks.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Yes to the above, charge and disconnect the battery... fill the tank full and add fuel stabilizer... change the oil... check the coolant and add antifreeze windshield fluid and that's it..

If the car is going to be stored outside I would use a car cover...

take it easy with 2 stroke oil or fogging.. do this for LONG term storage... this is overkill for a few months

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I don't jack my car up but it wouldn't hurt. I don't simply because the garage I rent for storage is only about 3-1/2" longer than my car and there just isn't any room. If you're storing your car off site, you want to take the battery with you so you can keep it charged.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

On these car DEFINITELY do not store it on jack stands...

There are two reasons to "lift" a car for storage...

1) It prevents flat spots and

2) It preserves the springs at the expense of the shocks/struts.

First, it is somewhat hard to flat spot radial tires... to get permanent damage they would have to left flat or with almost no air... usually they will round out after a few miles once they have warmed up...

But more important...

These cars are rare in that the springs are way cheaper then the shocks/struts... (most cars are the other way) Having the entire weight of the tire and suspension hanging on the strut at the end of its travel will send you off to buy new struts after just a couple of winters of this "abuse"... Not a good idea...

If you are worried about the tires... store it on the jacks with the suspension "compressed"

caddy.jpg

Greg

If you do not fill up the gas tank you will be asking for trouble.

Look at me, I need a new sending unit now, and it is hard on the tank too.

2 cycle oil is okay, but engine storage spray I think is better.

Why store it?

DRIVE' ER.

I am Canadian too, and our winters are bad, but we don't label the roads with nearly as much salt as other areas of North America.

I stored mine, then realized....DUH It's my car, and it's meant to drive.

If you owned it since new, and it has NEVER seen snow YEAH, but otherwise....Drive it.

These cars drive in the snow better than my old Yukon did.

95CadadianSTS will vouch for that too.

I would always get stuck in 4wd, and here would come Matt and pass me as if it was just wet out, in his 95 STS.

Big Jay

Life is too short to grow up!

Why is not filling the tank asking for trouble??? Thre is no need to fill a tank prior to storage as the system is so sealer, there is little to no air exchange (unless you remove the gas cap while it is in storage).

Storage spray will only coat the cylinders and throttle body, the 2-cycle oil in the fuel coats the entire fuel system.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

IMO for 3 or 4 months of storage...

None.

caddy.jpg

Greg

I usually let the car get to the point where the tank is nearly empty and then add 1 quart of oil and then 5 or 6 gallons of gasoline. Drive the car in order for the pre-mix gas to coat the fuel system.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Why is not filling the tank asking for trouble??? Thre is no need to fill a tank prior to storage as the system is so sealer, there is little to no air exchange (unless you remove the gas cap while it is in storage).

Storage spray will only coat the cylinders and throttle body, the 2-cycle oil in the fuel coats the entire fuel system.

Do as you wish then.

It was only my opinion, and sound advice from experience.

Big Jay :angry:

Life is too short to grow up!

Do as you wish then.

It was only my opinion, and sound advice from experience.

Big Jay :angry:

Jay, modern fuel systems are so sealed, there is little to no air exchange when the car is stored, UNLESS someone takes off the fuel cap while it is in storage. Before emission controls, when the tanks were directly vented, it was a good idea to store a vehicle with a full tank of fuel.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived