CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Freeze Plugs

Jeff

I've been reading a butt load of posts so I may not be 100% correct on this. I think I read where someone mentioned the 4.9 did not have freeze plugs. May not have been the 4.9 but is there a case where freeze plugs are not needed? I have a 97 SLS with the 4.6 and I want to know where the freeze plugs are on mine if any. I am particularly concerned with the area right under the water pump. Can the water pump pour water out just sitting parked with the engine off?? I can lose a gallon and a half just sitting parked at work in an 8 hour day! I first assumed it was the pump, but now at this rate, it doesn's seem likely does it? I can't see the leak- I can only see where it runs off the frame underneath the water pump. Someone mentioned a freeze plug and so I got to thinkin'... IS there a plug in that area?

Jeff

By the way- Wher is East Texan for WHERE! ;)

I know on older V-8 engines, the plugs are on the underside of the block and are usually about 1 1/2 in diameter. Get under the car and look below the heads and if there are any...that is where they would normally be.

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

The Northstar does not have "Freeze Plugs". It sounds like the waterpump seal or the pump cover seal is leaking. Use a small mirror to allow you to see around corners and you should find it.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I was told, years ago, that "freeze plugs" have nothing to do with freezing of the engine coolant. Cast iron engine blocks were cast in molds of damp sand tamped around wooden forms. A sand core was placed in the mold to form the water jackets. Molten iron was poured into the mold and, after it cooled, it had to be cleaned off. The "freeze plug" holes provided access to the water jackets so the sand could be washed out of them. Presumably, modern aluminum engine blocks are cast in some less labor-intensive way, making the "freeze plugs" unnecessary.

I would be interested to hear from somebody who has knowledge of this subject. Is what I was told true or not?

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Archived