CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

transmission issues ! finally give in

kjc

well thanks for the help folks in regards to the help you have given me so far in regards to my 95 sts with the troubles. lots of codes! cleared codes! not showing up again! still the slip and noise!

car has less than 50k and im prepared for the worst! rebuild? tranny repair shop is picking my car up in the am! i will post some info upon tranny diagnosis if this helps anyone the the future.

ps. till next issue thanks

Good Luck let us know how it turns out..

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

mac, i really do not know if i will need to rebuild. i only assume the worst! i feel confident with the folks at this place and fell i will get a straight answer! i hope it is the tcc solenoid or at worst the convertor itself! doubt its the shift solenoids!

i have contemplated for over a month now if i was willing to take this project on myself and have come to my better senses to leave it to the professionals!

now in regards to the limited slip? any advice and input would be greatly appreciated, and i should know by late tomorrow or early wed on the details of the tranny evaluation

ps in regards to a post i read earlier in the week when there comments about "bashing the other forum" my reply is "mother always said if you do not have anything good to say. say nothing at all" i will however add that this forum gets results due to the many nice people like yourself and others here thanks kevin

Well unless you have some mods or other such thing on there I wouldn't bother with the limited slip, the traction control system works in a such a way I'm not sure a limited slip would help.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Well unless you have some mods or other such thing on there I wouldn't bother with the limited slip, the traction control system works in a such a way I'm not sure a limited slip would help.

True, years ago we had this debate with a senior engineer from GM power-train (aka the guru).. IIRC his learned point of view was that unless you plan to use the car to run 1/4 mile drag races the limited slip will reduce day to day performance and drivability. Also, in the rain and snow, traction control simply works better.

BTW the truth about the 4T80E is that it is one of the strongest FWD transaxles ever built. BUT parts for it are not cheap at the dealer... Lets say you need a couple of bearings, an output shaft and a new set of differential gears...and all of the gaskets... You have already run up a bill bigger then a rebuilt one from GM.

This is a double edged sword... because they are so strong (and "limited" in their use)... individual used "hard" parts are not easy to get...

Your next option is to get a complete unit from a wrecker... The trick here is to get one from the same year and submodel of your car.

One last word... If you go for a replacement transmission, either new, used, rebuilt by GM or rebuilt by the shop... take it easy on it for the first three or four days after you get the work done... The "adapt" feature in the PCM takes a while to figure out that the line presures are all different. Give the PCM and tranny a chance to... adapt :lol:

Good Luck!

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

good morning! dreary overcast day here the northeast as i await the flat bed to arrive.

limited slip? i think i will like to have the original slip repaired first! as i do not plan to drag race any time soon. i can only hope the internals are not damaged as the parts you mentioned will add up in a hurry! in any event it i will have to accept the fate! not a good feeling knowing i may have to sell one of my other vehicles for the cost of a trans!

may have an ans by the end of the day, more likley tomorrow, at that time ill post back on the shops findings and solicit some advice with regards to options! thanks

True, years ago we had this debate with a senior engineer from GM power-train (aka the guru).. IIRC his learned point of view was that unless you plan to use the car to run 1/4 mile drag races the limited slip will reduce day to day performance and drivability. Also, in the rain and snow, traction control simply works better.

"Baby," my '95 Eldorado, was generally well behaved, but she could sometimes be a bit of a whore.

At full throttle, with the stick in 2nd, the stock exhaust let nearby folk know she was serious about her business. But my Lord, did she ever have a wicked torque steer! She'd nearly change lanes when those tires broke loose shifting into second gear. Believe me, it was a head turner!

I always thought I'd install a limited slip "front" if I ever had tranny problems.

The newer steed is quieter and doesn't want to know about chirping the tires on the one-two shift <sigh>. Probably better this way. :)

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

"Baby," my '95 Eldorado, was generally well behaved, but she could sometimes be a bit of a whore.

I always thought I'd install a limited slip "front" if I ever had tranny problems.

The newer steed is quieter and doesn't want to know about chirping the tires on the one-two shift. <sigh>. Probably better this way. :)

Regards,

Warren

Hi Warren,

Are you saying you had a limited slip installed?

From what I have read a limited slip will help to eliminate torque steer. I'm not sure I follow the line of thought that a limited slip will interfere with day-to-day performance. This is the first time I'm hearing of this. I understand that there would likely be interplay between the limited slip and Traction Control. Other than this, I can't think of anything else.

Hi Warren,

Are you saying you had a limited slip installed?

Nope, never did. But it was in the cards if I ever had tranny problems. Too late now. :)

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived