CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Problems With Homelink Universal Garage Door Opener

dotbowels

Problems With Homelink Universal Garage Door Opener. I have tried getting it programmed on and off for three months. I follow all of the instructions and still can't get it to work

I have tried it with the accessory light on, tried it with it off.

I have tried pressing the smart button on the overhead unit in the garage

Nothing works

Every time I've tried I make sure I hold the outer buttons 20 sec and wait until the indicator flashes for 20 sec

No matter how many times and how many ways I do it I can't get it done

Any suggestions before I blow my 06 DTS up?

Thanks Dorothy

From the 1997 FSM, page 9P-2 (and your owner's manual):

You erase the memory of the garage door opener by pressing the outer two buttons until it blinks rapidly. This erases all three channels.

You program it by getting a hand-held unit in-hand and holding it within a half-inch of the garage door opener unit; make sure that you can see the LED. Then, you press the button that you want to program and the actuator button on the hand-held unit simultaneously until the LED blinks first slowly, then rapidly. This will take a minute or more. Then, release both buttons. The garage door opener should now work.

If you have a garage door opener hand unit that meets Canadian regulations, you may need to release and press the button several times to program your Homelite.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

From the 1997 FSM, page 9P-2 (and your owner's manual):

You erase the memory of the garage door opener by pressing the outer two buttons until it blinks rapidly. This erases all three channels.

You program it by getting a hand-held unit in-hand and holding it within a half-inch of the garage door opener unit; make sure that you can see the LED. Then, you press the button that you want to program and the actuator button on the hand-held unit simultaneously until the LED blinks first slowly, then rapidly. This will take a minute or more. Then, release both buttons. The garage door opener should now work.

If you have a garage door opener hand unit that meets Canadian regulations, you may need to release and press the button several times to program your Homelite.

After a minute the light goes out instead of blinking rapidly :(

Any other suggestions would be appreciated, thanks Dorothy

Dorothy -- try releasing the button on the hand-held unit and pressing again. It may turn off instead of stay on when you hold the button. If so, the Homelite will blink slowly every time hou hit it. After a few times, it should pick up the program and blink quickly.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Dorothy -- try releasing the button on the hand-held unit and pressing again. It may turn off instead of stay on when you hold the button. If so, the Homelite will blink slowly every time hou hit it. After a few times, it should pick up the program and blink quickly.

Did I read somewhere that you can actually unplug the garage opener so you don't burn it out, will the programming work if I unplug?

Also is it better to have the key in the ignition and turned to accessory or should the key be totally out?

Thanks Dorothy

My door openers are old (late '70's / early '80's) and I have no problem programming them. My daughters is only a few years old and we have never been able to get it programmed either. You're not alone Dorothy.

I had the same problem. I could erase the button memory and then i got the small opener and put it an inch from the homelink buttons. Then it blinked just like it was suppose to. Nothing!

I finally tried pressing the program button my door then within 30 secs. I pressed and held the button on the homelink for two seconds then released and repeated the press hold and release another time. Then its set. What kind of garage door opener? Mine is a craftsman opener.

I had the same problem. I could erase the button memory and then i got the small opener and put it an inch from the homelink buttons. Then it blinked just like it was suppose to. Nothing!

I finally tried pressing the program button my door then within 30 secs. I pressed and held the button on the homelink for two seconds then released and repeated the press hold and release another time. Then its set. What kind of garage door opener? Mine is a craftsman opener.

I have a Genie Opener

I tried pressing that button on the genie opener and doing the under 30 second run back to the car etc with no luck Dorothy

I agree with Ranger, I'm sorry to say.... My Dad's neighbor bought a new garage door opener, and he's never been able to get either car's homelink to "sync up" to it.... He's got a 96 Eldorado and a newer, has to be 03 or 04, Deville....

I don't know what the deal is... I think his is a Chamberlain, the new one... according to the homelink website, and the Chamberlain website, it's supposed to work, but it doesn't....

Between the neighbor, my Dad, and myself, we played with that thing for a couple months... nothin'.

While attempting this, we simply pulled the red handle on the door track, so the door would quit going up & down...

I was rather frustrated about the whole deal... the suppliers of both companies kept saying "it should work", but it never did.....

xxpinballxx's suggestion, I think we tried that, but I can't totally remember... this all happened in early spring of 06... and I wasn't there all the time either... I know we were repeatedly pressing the transmitter button at one point, because allegedly this "new" one only transmits briefly... but that didn't help anyway.... not sure if we ever tried repeatedly pressing the homelink button....

So, if you ever come up with a solution, please post it here.... I'd love to know what you eventually come up with for a solution....

"Dorothy -- try releasing the button on the hand-held unit and pressing again. "

WORKED thanks to all for suggestions !!!!!!!

First program the remote into the Homelink unit, slow then fast blinking means it's in there.

Then press the button on the garage door motor opener unit (learn) then press the Homelink button 3 times or until it starts to work.

This worked for my 2005 Deville with the amber rolling code Homelink and my 2005 Genie Intellicode opener.

Glad you got it to work, it can be done!

The red light Homelink units will not work with Genie Intellicode openers.

Archived