CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

front cv boot

kcd1184

How serious(as in need to fix when?) is a front axle cv joint boot leak? It has been happening for at least 8000 miles , but now I am running CHICAGO 200 miles a day. I sometimes think I'm hearing a rumble, but then again I'm a deaf Ironworker. The inside of the rim gets coated between tire rotations (thats how I know). Outside of the front rims seem to be almost hot to the touch after the ride, but you can keep your hand on both of them. (equal heat, only one side leaks)

I know I am been vague, but it is a start.

Kent

VERY, the grease is thrown out via centrifugal force very fast. If you have a crack or leak, its possible that the grease has been flung out...

If the crack is bad enough grit, dirt and water get into the joint and that plus the lack of grease deteriorate it quickly. If you are hearing noise it could be the joint dry of grease and/or going bad... That said, you can purchase a rebuilt axle and replace the entire axle pretty cheaply..Rockauto has them for about $50

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Kent,

It will probably be easier and faster to change the whole half shaft than to R & R the boot. Cost should be only a little higher I believe. To change the boot, you have to disassemble the CV joint, a dirty, filthy, grease to your elbow job. Not fun.

How serious(as in need to fix when?) is a front axle cv joint boot leak? It has been happening for at least 8000 miles , but now I am running CHICAGO 200 miles a day. I sometimes think I'm hearing a rumble, but then again I'm a deaf Ironworker. The inside of the rim gets coated between tire rotations (thats how I know). Outside of the front rims seem to be almost hot to the touch after the ride, but you can keep your hand on both of them. (equal heat, only one side leaks)

I know I am been vague, but it is a start.

Kent

My boot is slinging grease and I took it on a 1800 mile road trip and had no problems. I have a small slit on my outer boot, but I'm going to replace my whole half shaft. To this day, it's still not making any noises on a regular basis, but that time is coming soon though I'm sure. <_<

I did the same thing on the 98 STS.

I just put in a new half shaft.

I got the shop to do it, and it was only $100.00 including labour.

Big Jay

Life is too short to grow up!

I did the same thing on the 98 STS.

I just put in a new half shaft.

I got the shop to do it, and it was only $100.00 including labour.

Big Jay

Wow! $100, that's cheap! I was quoted $230. I think I'm a try it myself and save the $180.00 They're up charging the shaft to $150 while I can pick one up locally here at the same GMAC warehouse for $50-70, can't remember which.

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to start pricing the half shaft. I'll look up the proceedure in my Helms and see what it takes. I've found that there are usually short cuts if you hook up with people that have done it before. Is it possible that your gas milage can increase with Fast heavy traffic? Like with drafting? Not really tailgateing. Pet peeve is that I try to drive with a small buffer space and as soon as i feel comfortable, somebody pops into it.

Kent

Archived