CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Deville vs DTS horsepower and gas mielage

kalderz

Thanks guys. I was hoping that a new Caddy would have SOMETHING going for it so I could justify buying one. As it is, I'm going to run the '99 'till the wheels fall off......81,111 and counting.

Johnny,

I have an '06 DTS Performance Sedan. Love it. Usually get around 21mpg with it. Would probably do better if not for my heavy foot. :D

Big, quite and fast.

Can't ask for anything more than that.

Posted Image

I can't wait to be barreling down a Texas highway in a big fine Cadillac automobile with a couple guns beside me and also with one of the housegirls if I have them by then and smoking a cigarette or cigar and if I am not driving I will also be drinking Captain Morgan Rum and Coca Cola and listening to good country and blues music to calm down my nerves

Them will be the days in those days

Well the new DTS DOES NOT have VVT, only the RWD northstars have it.

WOW! That's interesting, sorta makes the Lucerne look a lot better for $20,000 less doesn't it? The Lucerne can be had in version with Magnaride too I believe! And #2 behind a Japanese car to boot...how can you beat that?

It is not a Cadillac... though.

I tried some decaf coffee this evening here.... it tastes good but it is not coffee.

See.

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

WOW! That's interesting, sorta makes the Lucerne look a lot better for $20,000 less doesn't it? The Lucerne can be had in version with Magnaride too I believe! And #2 behind a Japanese car to boot...how can you beat that?

Johnny,

I had the same idea. I drove a top of the line Lucerne for a few hours before I bought my '06 DTS. I thought the steering was too vague. No feedback from the road. Maybe it was just that one car ... but I didn't like it. I will say THIS about the Lucerne, it was without a doubt, the QUIETEST car I have ever drove and I have drove a few. :D And it had a great stereo to boot. A tiny bit better <to my old ears> than the Bose in my DTS.

But, in the end, it wasn't a Cadillac.

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! I just now was able to check back for any responses to my original inquiry about performance and mpg differences between the DTS and the Deville.

I just want to say that Jason's response was very informative and I GREATLY appreciate the time he spent educating us about these differences.

THANK YOU, JASON .... and thanks also to all you who added many excellent perspectives of your own.

Now, at least I know that there is nothing I can do to improve upon my DTS' performance or fuel mileage.

Hey! Does anyone know if the DTS has the 112 mph limiter or not? I hope it doesn't. But I have not been anywhere yet where I could let it go and see what happens.

If there is a limiter, can it be removed/modified ... easily?

Thanks Again for your great informative input!!!!!! :)

I'm not sure where the DTS limiter is but it cannot be removed or changed easily. Only the dealer could do it, but for liabilty reasons it is doubtful that you would find one willing.

• 1 year later...

I went through the DHS vs. DTS arguements before I decided on a 2000 DTS. I have to admit, I did not see the power curve shown in this topic. May have led me to a DHS. I figured that since the 2000 is pretty well depreciated I was getting some extra options for not much more money on the DTS.

I figured 300 HP was better than 275 and when I read the motortrend test of the 2000 Deville, they all said they preferred the guts of the DTS. Maybe they were doing 125 MPH on a test rack, but claimed in was out in the country and I was swayed by their report.

I am only 46 and with the woodgrain steering wheel and the big ol' classy looking wood shifter center console, I can tell anyone saying "old man's car" where to go. Also the 300 number wakes people up when bragging over a beer, even like 299 or 275 can't. Also, I believe from reading my manual that the DTS can do some power shifting for you that the DHS does not, although I never got it to upshift like described. Truthfully, the console does pinch off your right leg a bit and has caused issues when trying to repair a mode door actuator from under the dash. Also the ashtray on the console is a joke, causing issues for my wife in the passenger seat.

The main reason I posted however was a couple of things not mentioned yet. One is Fog lights. Only on the DTS. A few weeks after my purchase I got into some pea soup fog and I will tell you on that night the fog lights paid for themselves 10 times over. Period. Also, I use them for most night driving as I live out in the country and while they do not impair other oncoming cars since they point so low, they provide a nice balance to the lighting when out in the boonies.

Secondly, the other thing is that the DTS comes with Stabilitrak standard. Don't know if I will ever need or engage it but if it ever came up it may make the DTS a lifesaving choice. I know it is optional on the DHS but you do not find too many with it when looking for used.

Those were two big factors in my decision, right or wrong.

Oh yeah, 17" wheels versus 16". Bigger is better? I got gorgous rims, are they unique to the DTS?

Barney,

I have a 2006 DTS Performance Sedan. The newer version of what you have.

I too use the fog lights a lot when driving at night. Don't get much fog here in the Ft. Worth / Dallas area, but they do fill in light nicely closer to the front of the car. Mine has the HID lights and are great for seeing in the distance and the fogs help up close.

As for the StabiliTrac... if you "EVER" need it ... it will be worth the entire price of the car. :D It is amazing what it can do. It can selectivly apply any one of the four brakes to help keep you on the road and help straighten the car out to help you maintain control. I have had mine kick in a few times when I was pushing it REALLY REALLY hard. :D

Also the Magnetic Ride Control, in conjunction with the StabiliTrac can adjust the four individual struts to be softer or firmer, using the input from the fore and aft and yaw sensors, to help keep it from leaning so much when cornering.

For instance, when turning LEFT... it firms up the right hand struts and softens the left ones, and vice versa. Does the same thing front and rear when braking or accelerating.

And speaking of wheels... the newer Performance Models, come with 18' Chrome 9 spoke wheels vs ( I think ) 17 inch on the regular cars.

Posted Image

MY DHS has Stabilitrac. I thought it was standard on DHS & DTS. Try it out next time you are on a lonely snow covered road. You'll be amazed. It is almost impossible to put the car into a skid.

Archived