CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Northstar Powered STS'

I am interested in buying a 93-97 STS with a Northstar engine but after recent research about these cars, I have found out some scary things about these cars. Such things as the Northstars using tons of oil between oil changes and that many people are having all sorts electrical problems. I read about most of these problems on www.carreview.com from people who own or have owned these types of cars. I have always liked these cars since they came out in 1992 and am feeling very discouraged that these cars are, dare I say turning into Lemons :(. If anyone has a testamonial about these cars postive or negative it would be tremendously helpful.

If you are just talking about engines, the Northstar engine is one of the most reliable and durable ever made. Yes, some of them have been known to consume some oil but so what? Oil is cheap. Do not make the mistake of confusing oil consumption with a worn out engine. If you read this message board you will see that the internals of these engines are rock solid.

As for the cars themselves, they are complicated luxury cars with rather sophisticated electronics, etc. Like any car in this category, they are are known to require expensive repairs from time to time, especially as the miles get higher. You could get lucky and drive for years without needing expensive repairs, or you might get rather unlucky. Search the message boards for any luxury car (mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, etc) and you will find out the same thing hold true for all these cars.

If you want a car that is going to be very cheap to own, do not buy a Cadillac. On the other hand, if you have reasonable expectations from these cars, and you dont mind spending some money from time to time, they are great cars to own.

I've had my '94 STS for about 7 years now. I have had some problems, however have managed to fix them myself. I have spent very little for repairs over the past years.

No, it does not use lots of oil. Usually down a qt. by change time.

I usually don't drive it during the worst part of thge winter. Jan. - Mar.

I took it out last week. First time started since late Dec.

Started like it was just shut off.

Took it out on the highway, to "clear out the dust", and actually had a smile on my face as I hit 6,500 rpm in first gear.

Great cars to drive. !!

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Very few cars use "tons of oil" between changes. 1 qt. per 1000 miles is the highest acceptable consumption rate. Most engines will use one or two quarts between changes, but remember, the sump holds at least 7 quarts, so you're always within a safe operating range.

Click on the link to my webpage to see what my car has required in repairs during most of its history, if you're interested. I consider mine to be pretty "normal". Some years, repairs have been a few thousand. In 2002, the only "repair" was a fuel pressure regulator seal kit, and it only needed that because I split one of the o-rings during a maintenance check. Last year in 2003, it needed a water pump and that was it all year (less than 100 bucks). The only electrical items on the car that have been replaced are the alternator, battery (normal for age), and a front power window switch. The rest of the electrical system has been rock solid. Keep in mind that many of the items on my maintenance page aren't "repairs" at all, but I've included them there anyway (like new tires, brakes, additions, etc).

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I bought my gorgeous white '97 STS with 87000 miles on the clock on ebay for $7,900.00. That was a year ago. Book value on the car at that time was $13,750.00 so I feel like I got a decent deal. The car's looks is what drew me to it and I looked at many. It is absolutely the best car I've ever owned! Mine has had some oil leaks, which I managed to correct by switching from full synthetic to a synthetic blend. I put 4 tires on it, did a tune-up, and replaced a few interior trim pieces. The most expensive repair I've done has been the struts, but I got a good deal on that as well. They are expensive, but that is because the STS has a sophisticated road sensing ride control system that takes it's readings from the struts and sensors. If you find a car that you can pick up at a substantial discount from it's book value, that will offset the cost of most repairs that you will do to return the car to its showroom condition. This board will help you achieve that with your ride just as it has helped me achieve it with mine. Good Luck!

I am interested in buying a 93-97 STS with a Northstar engine but after recent research about these cars, I have found out some scary things about these cars. Such things as the Northstars using tons of oil between oil changes and that many people are having all sorts electrical problems.

I notice you have a '67 DeVille. The Northstar and 429 have a lot in common: both had very good power to weight ratios; both are sensitive to corrosion from poor cooling system maintenance because of aluminum components; earlier examples of both will experience excessive oil consumption due to stuck rings from a lack of spirited driving. Should they arise, electrical problems are pretty straightforward to diagnose with the factory service manuals in hand.

I have a 94 STS, it is the best car I have had, some of my other cars include a 1970 Trans AM with 455 HO, 1970 340 Cuda, 1968 GT 500 Selby Mustang, along with a 1967 GTO and a 1972 Triump Spitfire and sundy othe plain sedans.

All the high performance cars used oil between changes, and they all required high maintenance, it is just the nature of the beast. And the Northstar is no different, it requires maintenance, if it is not performed then you can run into problems, like with the early NS's and the need to keep up the maintenance of the cooling system. If it is not do then you have problems later down the road.

I have only had several things happen to my NS, like the alternator, water pump belt tensioner, and oil cooler and oil cooler line leaks. The only big problem I have had was the shift soleniods going bad, and I replace them myself after getting ton's of good info here.

If you want s car that rides great and has the power gidets gadgets along with the engine power to make life fun, then Seville or Deville with the Northstar is the way to go...What a ride they are.

John

John

If anyone has a testamonial about these cars postive or negative it would be tremendously helpful.

Hey 67,

As everyone else is saying, these are great cars but can be expensive.

I bought my 93 STS amost 2 years ago for $8000 CAD. Spent $1000 to get it saftied. Since then, I've probably put $1500 into it (alternator, shift solenoids, neutral safety switch, engine mounts, idle speed control motor, a couple other little things). That being said, it's only left me stranded once - when the neutral safety switch went, it wouldnt go into gear. If youre interested in other potential problems, check out Lemon-Aid by Phil Edmunston, but dont take it too seriously "Theres little to reccommend in this car" lol.

Anyways, $2500 for two years use (including safety), and almost 30 000kms. Very fun car to drive, not a bad deal at all! Also, these cars are great in the winter, and mine shines here in the snowbelt region of Ontario :). If you need something less expensive to maintain, I'd go with a Nissan or Honda.

BTW - I used to live in Saskatoon, where we'd to drive up to PA a couple times a month. Very nice area :D

-Chris

It seems as though all you guys have nothing but good things to say about these STS's and that the people that were bashing them did not know how to turn their own wrenches. My Mom and Dad currently own 90 and 91 Fleetwoods and we have had no major problems, other than the hood ornaments going missing from time to time. Thanks for the reassurance on the Cadillac namesake. As soon as I find the one I want, I'll get some pics for ya'll! Thanks!

I bought mine on eBay a year or so ago - maybe more - time flies - I paid $6500 for it and thought I had stolen it. $5000 for a new tranny and $1500 for new air conditioning brought me out of my dimwitted thinking. It still has a Main Seal oil leak that spots up the driveway (they want $1500 to fix that one), uses a quart or so of oil between changes (not a big deal), the passenger door lock doesn't work, and the radio/CD player/ tape player had to be rebuilt for another $200.

Other than that it's been a dream rig!

It was most likely in a wreck from what I can figure out. But CARFAX didn't have it listed so I reckon someone just got tired of the thing and dumped it. It had been horribly abused, oh yeah the rear seats stitching came apart after I had it for about a month (trip to the upholsterer = $100), by the former owners.

But it runs like a striped arsed ape - I've run it up to 130 and it is like a rock. Rides like a dream. And I think I've got most of the stuff fixed. I had to pay for the large items but all of the small stuff I've been able to repair.

So I own a pretty good looking rig that has a 50,000 mile warranty on the major parts! Oh yeah - radiator took a crap also - went along with the tranny pumping it full of fluid.

I'm figuring on driving it until the wheels fall off it - it's near paid for and always starts and runs. Gets pretty good mileage 22-23 on the cheap stuff.

So go figure -

Alright, I found a 93 STS at our local insurance yard thats cracked on the front end. As far as I can see, it needs a headlight, hood, corner lens, until I started and there was a lifter making noise. I'm wondering if a set of lifters is expensive or a common fault on N*s. I priced a hood, headlight, and corner lens from GM here and its roughly $1200 CDN for everything. The reserve on the car $3500, it also needs mufflers, which I was gonna change to some performance something or others. The car has 138,000 kms or roughly 86000 miles. Car seems to be in decent shape especially the interior (still smells new), has new tires, but the knocking lifter kinda makes me warry about buying maybe something that has been bagged for most of its life or the guy who had it before didn't know how to change oil on time. I figure if I can get it for roughly $6000 CDN ($4600 US) everything painted and installed and everything I should be doing alright <_< . Let me know what you guys think.

Alright, I found a 93 STS at our local insurance yard thats cracked on the front end. As far as I can see, it needs a headlight, hood, corner lens, until I started and there was a lifter making noise. I'm wondering if a set of lifters is expensive or a common fault on N*s.

Well, the Northstar is DOHC and thus doesn't have any lifters. So, I'd feel safe saying that lifter noise is not a common fault on the Northstar.

It could be cold carbon rap or it could be something else. I'd want to know what it was before I bought it.

As Gregp say's, it sounds alot like cold carbon rap which usually goes away shortly sfter starting. That is usually cured by some WOT applications.

• 2 weeks later...

Buy the Caddy! 32V motors, made in the 90's use oil, it is a fact. Buy a SLS over a STS, the SLS will be cheaper, and is the same car, unless you need 10% more performance, which is on the top end. Parts can be expensive, but just compare them to the imports first! If you maintain the Northstar, it is as venerable of a powerplant, as the small block chevy. Use this forum, and become educated! Buy a good copy, and avoid ones that have been "beat on", just like buying a Camaro, or the like. For a 4000 pound sedan, this car fllies. Many of "us" know that, and fly in these cars! Honestly, if you are just looking for a Caddy, a 95 Deville with the 4.9 is the steal of the century right now!

I love my Cadillac, I have driven other cars and have to admit that they "dont feel like my Caddy!" People do not know this until they get to know this car. I have had various cars and enjoy this one in particular. It can be a very luxurious car, but will also smoke just about every other car on the road.

I have learned through experience that high performance engines will naturally have more wear just because it encourages you to go quicker and faster, but that 4.6 is still running like the classic Cadillac V8 it was designed to be.

I have spent money maintaining this car, which compares to all cars on the road. After all, it's still a machine, and as a machine it will break down. I have replaced all the fuel seals and fuel injectors as they have become brittle. I have replaced EGR, generator, trans solenoids, idle speed control, wheels, brakes, and various other 100,000 mile parts, but nothing major that I had to get rid of the car.

Oh yes, and the constant "thats a beautiful car, I love your Cadillac," etc. and they stare in disbelief when I tell them that she just turned 10. If somebody brags about their Chrylser, Toyota, MB, or whatever I can say "Want to get smoked?"

Archived