CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

No Start

Rich

Hey all,

Just got back from a great car show in Southbury, CT. After a one hour drive at 75 to 80 MPH, I dropped off my buddy at his house. Shut the car down (1997 Eldorado ETC 85K miles) for about three minutes or so, then got back in to go home. Tunned the key and nothing happened. Just some crackling out of the speakers. My buddy gave me a jump start and the Eldorado started up and I drove home. Parked it and started it twice since (over a two hour period). Starts up no problem, charging at 12 v climbing to 13 - 14 after a few seconds. Battery is not quite four years old.

Ran the DIC for codes. Received the folowing:

IPC B 1552 History which translates to "Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error"

PZM B 1971 History which translates to "Inadvertant Power"

Any clues as to what the problem might be? Planning to take it to the dealer, just wondering if I can drive it until I get an appointment, or whether I should bring it right in tomorrow morning. If these are History codes, does this mean the errors have self corrected? Might this problem have been a fluke? Just wondering what I should expect to hear from the dealer after he diagnoses the problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all.

If you don't care about the money go to a dealer- otherwise go to autozone for a free charging system test.

You probably need to clean your battery terminals.

If you need a battery they are easy to install and you can save fifty or more bucks in 10 minutes.

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

The sound crackling it most likely the "ding" (or beep if you have the memory seat/mirror package) not having enough power to actuallypower the speakers.

It sounds like for one reason or another you battery was drained, it could be a fluke, or a lose cable, I would have the batter load tested to make sure it will keep a charge.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

The codes you reported are set when you lose battery power. Thus it's fairly certain that you have a bad battery cable or a failing battery.

One problem that I had with my 1997 ETC was corrosion in the positive terminal of the battery cable. There are three positive cables. One goes to the starter, one goes to the alternator, and one goes to the main maxifuse block just behind the air cleaner on the driver's side. Corrosion in the postive terminal can cause a bad connection with any combination of these. Make sure that whoever looks at the battery cleans the cable.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived