CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

cleared codes! yet to show up again!

kjc

hi folks and thanks again in advance for helping out here. cleared the codes on my 95 sts and have driven it around 20 miles and have yet to see the codes show up again, but the problem still exists with the tranny.

tranny makes a whinning sound very similair to a bearing noise through the first three gears, once in fourth and up to speed it seems to grip well, but the first three gears are definatley slipping and making a bearing like whine!

how many ignition cycles before i see the codes again? thanks

eric, here are the previous codes from last week!

Group: Registered

Member No.: 2806

97 sts

hello folks...a few code questions? my car is a 95sts with transmission issues and the codes are

po29

po39

po52

po90 current

po94

po109

hello ranger. should i assume the worst since my faults are not detected by the computer, but tranny is not acting right then the problem may be internal trans issues?

P029 (E029) .............. Transaxle Shift 'B' solenoid problem (1st, 3rd, 4th gear)

P039 (E039) ..... Torque Coverter Clutch/Viscous Converter Clutch Engagement Problem

P052 (E052) ....................................................... PCM Memory Reset

P090 (E090) ......... VCC/TCC Brake Switch/Park/neutral switch Input Circuit Problem

P094 (E094) ............ Transaxle Shift "A" Solenoid Problem (Vehicle Speed Sensor)

P109 (E109) ....... Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Reset/PCM has lost primary battery power

Don't panick. 29 & 94 mean that you need to R & R the shift solenoids. They can be done in your garage if you are a wrench bender. You need to drop the pan & the valve body. Messy but doable for about $50. Someone wrote up a "How To" once. Do a search for it. Even if you have it done it should cost no more than a couple of hundred. Don't let anyone talk you into a rebuild as they will surely try.

39 might be the switch at the top of the brake pedal.

52 & 109 are probably from pulling battery power.

thanks larry, yes im a "wrench bender" and have a shop to use and all the tools known that exsist on earth ( may not know how to use them all) and im powerd by heineken! if that helps.

i actually would consider doing a tranny swap with the aid of some competent help, but before i break down and go to a dealer or trans shop, i would like to arm myself with some info and perhaps a simple solution!

i have done my research on the codes and realize what the mean for the most part.

in the meantime i will drive my car with caution and wait for the codes to reappear!

as far as panicking! na not worth it thanks for the input

kjc,

Ranger gave you some really good information. Don't jump to conclusions about needing a rebuild. The codes are there for a reason. The codes, 9 out of 10 times, are right on the money. But if it makes you feel better to let a mechanic talk you into an unnecessary rebuild then have at it. There isn't much money, for a shop, in just R and R shift solenoids. But there's a whole lot in a rebuild. It's your money though. Keep us posted on what you decide and the outcome.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

well not what i was looking to see over my am. coffee! sounds like possible clutch damage. it may be time to have the professional diagnosis. and be looking for a used or rebuilt tranny.

I agree, do not jump to conclusions, the biggest problem seem to point to shift solenoids(PO29 & PO94). This is a common and easiest tranny problem to fix. It takes about 1-1/2 hours to fix. Dealer will charge $250 to $350 to fix. Go to a good REPUTABLE tranny shop that works on cadillacs, I found one that only charged $80 for labor, check around. A lot of shops will talk about a complete rebuild because it means more money for them.

The PO39 & P090 point to a switch on the brake pedal out of adjustment or a fuse/short problem. Check the fuses.

The only concern I have is that the codes have not reappeared. Shift solenoid codes will put the car in "limp mode" and not shift beyond 2nd gear. Mine reset itself everytime I started the car, but set again when the car shifted into 3rd.

The more I check my manual the more I think you might have a shorted circuit somewhere, check the fuses.

thanks paul and regis! if it is just the solenoids i will do these myself! and may even consider replacing the trans myself with the help of our shop forman! as far as the manuals ! where may i purchase some other than a dealer!

i am know going to check all the fuses you mentioned and take the car for a short drive and see if i can get the codes to show up again. i will report back later. thanks

thanks paul and regis! if it is just the solenoids i will do these myself! and may even consider replacing the trans myself with the help of our shop forman! as far as the manuals ! where may i purchase some other than a dealer!

i am know going to check all the fuses you mentioned and take the car for a short drive and see if i can get the codes to show up again. i will report back later. thanks

You can get the Helm genuine GM service manual here:

IPB Image

Your in luck since most are on sale right now :) Just picked some up for the 98 Deville, a must have for a do it yourselfer (well must have if you like to know the right way :))

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

That's a good deal on those manuals... I paid $90 for used ones on Ebay....

I have no intentions of rebuilding a tranny, but really, the level of detail in the books is amazing.... everything is covered.

They go so far as to explain exact locations of where to mount the emblems, and how to do it.... just flipping through mine, I cannot see any detail that is missed, for any particular subsystem in the car....

If you're teetering, go ahead an buy the books. You won't be sorry. If nothing else, let the mechanic who works on your car look at them....

hi egreen. i tried and and no luck! says helms no longer has manuals for 1995 sts. am i missing something? oh and by the way i graduated amherst high and ub in the early 80's logged many hours at brunner's tavern

I havne't been to Brunners in awhile, last time I was a little kid with my parents watching a game, when I turn 21 however.... :)

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

still no codes after driving another 15 gentle miles today. alos sucked out 24 oz of fluid and replaced with the lucas treatment. by the way the trans fluid appears ok but not great. does not smell burnt but is not the red it should be.

another point i may add is

after pulling in the driveway and putting the car in park! i rev the engine and the bearing like hum that i hear while going throught the gears is present !

any trans folks here to advise me of the next course of action?

why no codes again? should i just do the shift solenoids and see what happens? thanks again

Archived