CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1988 Deville A/C clutch bearing failure

bdiamond

Gentlemen,

This is the third time in 2.5 years that the A/C clutch bearing has failed. The last time was 6 months ago. At that time I carefully looked at and measured the alignment of the drive belt component pullyss. All the pulleys were in good if not perfect alignment. The belt was replaced too and the amount of travel in the tensioner appears to be correct (about in the middle) when set. I last 3 compressors were Autozone remans.

I am at a loss. What could be causing this? I'm thinking of just replacing the bearing this time.

Bill

Gentlemen,

This is the third time in 2.5 years that the A/C clutch bearing has failed. The last time was 6 months ago. At that time I carefully looked at and measured the alignment of the drive belt component pullyss. All the pulleys were in good if not perfect alignment. The belt was replaced too and the amount of travel in the tensioner appears to be correct (about in the middle) when set. I last 3 compressors were Autozone remans.

I am at a loss. What could be causing this? I'm thinking of just replacing the bearing this time.

Bill

I think you answered your own question.... The Autozone reman compressors are probably the problem. Get a new AC Delco compressor - www.gmotors.com is a Cadillac dealer that sells parts over the internet at wholesale prices. Autozone is notorious for poor quality parts that they cover up with a "Lifetime Warranty".

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 2 weeks later...

I think you answered your own question.... The Autozone reman compressors are probably the problem. Get a new AC Delco compressor - www.gmotors.com is a Cadillac dealer that sells parts over the internet at wholesale prices. Autozone is notorious for poor quality parts that they cover up with a "Lifetime Warranty".

Well, it wasn't the bearing. It was the The clutch pully broke.

I took the prevaling advice and bought a new Delphi compressor. But a problem cropped up involving the seal washers. See www.glocktech.net/c for pictures and description.

Ranger or KHE: do you have experience with this replacement unit?

TIA

Bill

When the "short insert" is used on the discharge side of the hose block, do the surfaces line up? It sounds like the insert makes up for the difference in height that you noticed.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

When the "short insert" is used on the discharge side of the hose block, do the surfaces line up? It sounds like the insert makes up for the difference in height that you noticed.

I measured each seal washer and found that the red one would work in the suction port. The documentation that came with the compressor was incorrect.

Anyway, I have ice cold a/c again. Thanks for the help.

Archived