CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Electronic Level Control

Maximln

I have an 06 STS that is supposed to have the ELC system but I have never heard the compressor come on. On my old STS, the compressor would come on for a few seconds after the ignition was turned on and then would come on when any weight would be added, including my own! Is this one supposed to come on the same way? Is it now a silent compressor?

Thanks,

Max

The luxury / lux sport suspension nivomat shocks have a level control built in to them that does not depend on an external compressor.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/pdf/nivomat.pdf

The Mannesmann-Sachs Nivomat is a compact device for vehicle level control, containing all necessary system elements (supporting element, pump, accumulator, reservoir, regulator, etc.) in one housing. The Nivomat is installed instead of a conventional shock absorber, spring shock absorber or spring strut and automatically establishes the optimum vehicle level under all load conditions. In general, the Nivomat also takes over the spring and damping function. The installation of the Nivomat is usually carried out at the rear axle of a vehicle, thus level control with the Nivomat is also carried out there.

The specific characteristic of the Nivomat level control system lies in the fact that the energy necessary for adjusting the optimum height level is generated from the relative movements between the axle and the vehicle body arising from road irregularities while driving. This means that - in contrast to other systems - the Nivomat operates without any pollution since it does not need any external energy supply.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Bruce, thank you very much for the info. That also explains why the system is now called "Automatic" Level Control instead of the "Electronic." Cadillac originally dropped the "Automatic" name in 1978 when they went with the electric compressor instead of the previous vacuum driven compressor. It was really beginning to bother me because I would never hear the compressor come on, even when the vehicle was loaded up! My 98 STS was very sensitive. Any slight weight changes would cause the vehicle to level, even with just me getting in and out (I weigh 190lbs)! I really miss the days when the dash cluster had the "LEVEL RIDE" message as the vehicle was leveling. It really helped to know if the system was operating properly!

Max

• 4 weeks later...

The luxury / lux sport suspension nivomat shocks have a level control built in to them that does not depend on an external compressor.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/pdf/nivomat.pdf

The Mannesmann-Sachs Nivomat is a compact device for vehicle level control, containing all necessary system elements (supporting element, pump, accumulator, reservoir, regulator, etc.) in one housing. The Nivomat is installed instead of a conventional shock absorber, spring shock absorber or spring strut and automatically establishes the optimum vehicle level under all load conditions. In general, the Nivomat also takes over the spring and damping function. The installation of the Nivomat is usually carried out at the rear axle of a vehicle, thus level control with the Nivomat is also carried out there.

The specific characteristic of the Nivomat level control system lies in the fact that the energy necessary for adjusting the optimum height level is generated from the relative movements between the axle and the vehicle body arising from road irregularities while driving. This means that - in contrast to other systems - the Nivomat operates without any pollution since it does not need any external energy supply.

Well, I finally received my service manual that I ordered from Helm for my 2006 STS. According to the manual, my vehicle still has the level control system that utilizes an air compressor and the rear position sensors to control the height. It also says that it still has an air replenishment cycle that should cycle the compressor on after a few seconds of turning on the ignition. To this day, I still have never heard the compressor come on for the replenishment cycle or after adding weight to the vehicle. Does anyone know if they just use a new compressor that makes little noise? I'm wondering if there is a problem. Like I said, my 98 STS would level with just me getting in and out, raise and exhaust as well as the replenishment cycle.

Max

Archived