CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How cold should my a/c be getting?

98deville

Just replaced my a/c comp. with a new ac delco comp, O-rings, and had everything flushed. My a/c still isn't getting as cold as it should be...during the day it feels cool but now cold cold like other cars. Can it be that it's just so hot (100 deg. weather)

100 degree temps will certainly put a strain on the system, but mine seemed to keep me comfortable, though I never measured the duct tempurature.

Per a '99 FSM A/C system performance chart,

OAT = 100 deg.

Humidity 40%+

Duct tempurature = 56 - 62

I imagine 56 degrees when it's 100 degrees outside would feel pretty cold. Although, I would think it would be cooler than 56, or atleast feel like it. It was 95 the other day, and my air w/ my new compressor felt very cold. Maybe your freon charge is off?

Did you use a vacuum pump to evacuate the system and then charge the refrigerant into the vacuum? If not, the air that is in the system will affect cooling performance.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Did you use a vacuum pump to evacuate the system and then charge the refrigerant into the vacuum? If not, the air that is in the system will affect cooling performance.

Yea I assume they did all that when I took it in. Told them to evacuate the system then to add the refrigerant. My a/c gets cold at night but sometimes during the day it doesnt feel as cold... I'll probly take it by the shop to have it checked out and make sure it has the right amount or should I just evacuate the system again and start over?

how can I check how cold it's getting?

Cheapest way is to get a $2 A/C thermometer from Autozone or such. They look much like a small meat thermometer and stick it in the vent. If you have a DVM with a tempurature probe, that will give you a quicker reading.

figured out why it wasn't blowing as cold, they had overcharged it. The low side was at 60 around there so he evacuated it some and brought it down to 50. It stays at 50 when idle then as you press the gas it goes to where it needs to be at 40psi....is this right or should it always be at 40 on the low? Noticed a big change when he did that, alot colder now.

The idiot I bought my car from had the system charged well over 100

What an idiot

And the guy said, he says, that a/c just needs charging.. right.... *sigh* :)

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

I forgot the high pressure but he said it was where it needed to be a little over 150 or I think it was 250 not sure. The low side was 60psi so he evacuated some out...So now it sits at 50psi while in idle and goes down to 40 when gas is applied...I felt a difference when he evacuated some out. He told me to see how that works if not to go back and he'll take a little more out...

It sounds like the system is being charged according to pressures and is now overcharged. Have him recover the charge and then evacuate the system and add 2.0 lbs. of R-134a and I will bet proper operation of the system is restored.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

right now it's getting a little under 60 degrees when he checked, So my best bet is to go and have it evacuated and recharged. what should the guage readings read for the low and high with a proper charge?

There is a section in the shop manual - it gives a range of gage readings as a guide. Just have him recover the refrigerant, evacuate the system to remove the air, and then add 2.0 lbs of R-134a. 2.0 lbs. of R-134a IS the proper charge for the system

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

wouldn't the evaporator be clean since I had the whole system flushed out or I should've bought a new one? Whats a good decent price for recovering the system and taking out all the air & moisture then recharging?

Flushing cleans the inside of the evaporater, much like flushing a radiator. Mildew grows on the outside, like bugs in the cooling fins of a radiator. No idea on prices.

wouldn't the evaporator be clean since I had the whole system flushed out or I should've bought a new one? Whats a good decent price for recovering the system and taking out all the air & moisture then recharging?

I think 60 degrees is the coldest setting on the ECC of my 93 Sedan Deville.

Enjoy the hot weather. It will be cold soon and A/C will not matter.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Archived