CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Suspension Mystery

BritCaddy

Hi,

I've had my UK import RHD 2000 Seville STS for a week now and was over the moon with it.

This elation was somewhat dampened (no pun intended), when I found I couldn't go faster than 90MPH, with the engine misfiring like a pig every time I tried to.

Also the DIC didn't work. After taking the instrument cluster out, I found the DIC screen had been very carefully taped over to blank it out. Suspicious.... After removing the tape and refitting everything, the DIC worked fine and I had a suspension fault message and advisory 'SPEED LIMITED TO 90MPH.'

Next I pulled the DTC codes (thanks to the forum) and they came up RSS 1712 and 1717, LF and RF actuators open circuit.

AHA ! Someone's left the electrical connectors off the top of the shocks, I thought.

But here's the mystery:-

On checking the shocks, I found that they have NO provision for an electrical connector, nor could I see any loose wiring connectors adjacent to the shock towers that looked like they belonged to the shocks.

What should I do next?

Sounds about right to me. Somebody replaced the shocks with standard units, not active units. If you want to make it right, be prepared to spend BIG$$$ for the correct shocks......IF you can find them. $600.00US EACH! (or maybe that's OUCH)

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Newcadillacparts.com will ship overseas. Some parts are priced at a discount.

Check with local laws. Unless you bought this car from an individual or you signed a total disclaimer, the tape over the DIC just may give you some recourse to get an adjustment from the seller.

Another anecdote showing why you should have a used car looked at by your own mechanic before buying.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Next I pulled the DTC codes (thanks to the forum) and they came up RSS 1712 and 1717, LF and RF actuators open circuit.

AHA ! Someone's left the electrical connectors off the top of the shocks, I thought.

But here's the mystery:-

On checking the shocks, I found that they have NO provision for an electrical connector, nor could I see any loose wiring connectors adjacent to the shock towers that looked like they belonged to the shocks.

What should I do next?

Be aware the wiring you are looking for originates near the bottom inboard surface of each strut; not the top.

Several options are open to you.

(1) Pursue any legal recourse with the seller.

OR

(2) If you are otherwise happy with the way the car rides and behaves with what might well turn out to be 'passive' shocks (struts), I can tell you how to disable the related messages and speed limiter for the cost of parts (approximately one US dollar).

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Another anecdote showing why you should have a used car looked at by your own mechanic before buying.

Point taken, although these cars are so rare in the UK, I doubt that few mechanics over here would have the relevant knowledge.

The car has only done 33K miles and other than the suspension issue, has no other faults. I'm happy with the ride as it is, so I think I'll go for the quick fix.

Thanks for your advice.

Richard:

Yes, resistors will work. Just take some care with waterproofing the connections.

I'm on the road and will be home tonight. Send me your mailing address and I will put two of the correct value resistors in your mail box.

Or, if you have access to small electronic parts, I will send you the value.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Jim,

If you could let me know the resistor values, I can source them locally to save you the trouble of postage.

I assume I just need to insert the resistors across the electrical connector for the shocks and then weatherproof them?

Thanks again,

Richard

With only 33K miles on the car, why in the world would somebody replace the shocks? I have 87,000 on mine and the shocks still work fine, and no leakage. It seems more likely that somebody might have known how much these are worth and sold them as repair parts.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Jim,

If you could let me know the resistor values, I can source them locally to save you the trouble of postage.

I assume I just need to insert the resistors across the electrical connector for the shocks and then weatherproof them?

Thanks again,

Richard

Resistors are 4.7K Ohm, 1/2 watt.

Yes, insert the leads in the chassis connector (socket) and it will be a snug fit. Waterproofing will also insulate any part of the lead that is exposed.

If necessary (due to parts availability) you can substitute the next higher standard value.

Not recommended to use lower resistance value as that would require a higher wattage rating.

Remember this readers; the vehicle in question here is a '98 to '04 Seville. This resistor value might or might not defeat the DTC for other years/models.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Yes it sounds exactly that way to me,

If that is the case I would wonder about the bags..

If the bags are missing or inoperative the DIC will tell you.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

With only 33K miles on the car, why in the world would somebody replace the shocks? I have 87,000 on mine and the shocks still work fine, and no leakage. It seems more likely that somebody might have known how much these are worth and sold them as repair parts.

That's a possibility, I'm going to research the history of the car and see if I can find out who owned it before me, maybe they can shed some light on it.

After much rooting around in the back of the engine compartment, I finally found the connectors to the shocks, that had been deliberately hidden out of sight.

With Jim's help, I should be all fixed up.

Thanks for the info Jim.

After much rooting around in the back of the engine compartment, I finally found the connectors to the shocks, that had been deliberately hidden out of sight.

If you do figure out what's going on, be sure to let us know. I can't imagine someone going to all that trouble and expense just to sell off the more expensive original struts and shocks. Seems to me like a hard way to make a little extra money!

Strange things can be discovered in used cars. I bought my '94 Eldorado (sight unseen) on E-bay. When I took delivery, it had a "SERVICE AIR BAG SYSTEM" message on the DIC. I had an air bag technician check it out. He told me the passenger air bag was missing! I went back to the dealer and claimed fraud because the E-bay listing specifically said the car had air bags. After getting the run-around from the dealer, I complained to the Texas Attorney General claiming fraud and filing a complaint against the dealer's license. The dealer came around quite smartly and arranged to have the defect repaired at a body shop near my home in California. The body shop called me to explain that the air bag space had, in fact, been converted into a secret compartment where the previous owner had apparently stashed his marijuana! There were enough crumbs lodged in the corners to roll a pretty decent joint if they could have been retrieved. The body shop gave me the attached photo.

post-36-1155167049_thumb.jpg

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

If you do figure out what's going on, be sure to let us know. I can't imagine someone going to all that trouble and expense just to sell off the more expensive original struts and shocks. Seems to me like a hard way to make a little extra money!

Strange things can be discovered in used cars. I bought my '94 Eldorado (sight unseen) on E-bay. When I took delivery, it had a "SERVICE AIR BAG SYSTEM" message on the DIC. I had an air bag technician check it out. He told me the passenger air bag was missing! I went back to the dealer and claimed fraud because the E-bay listing specifically said the car had air bags. After getting the run-around from the dealer, I complained to the Texas Attorney General claiming fraud and filing a complaint against the dealer's license. The dealer came around quite smartly and arranged to have the defect repaired at a body shop near my home in California. The body shop called me to explain that the air bag space had, in fact, been converted into a secret compartment where the previous owner had apparently stashed his marijuana! There were enough crumbs lodged in the corners to roll a pretty decent joint if they could have been retrieved. The body shop gave me the attached photo.

Contraband aside, that's freakin sweet. :D

Archived